Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher AZ-GO2 mount frustrations

M16CKL

I'm currently using a Sky-Watcher AZ-GO2 WiFi mount with the SynScan app (no connected handset).

Whilst the 'brightest star' alignment functionality appears to work well, tonight I've been encountering a really frustrating issue that I can't seem to find any other references to on any forums/site when 'Googling'. An example of the issue is detailed below;

After aligning the mount to Rigel and Pollux (without any problems), I entered Sirius as my next star to observe. The mount started to slew towards Sirius but after a few seconds paused and then suddenly started slewing in totally the opposite direction!

I thought it was just a blip so re-aligned to two new stars (Betelgeuse and Castor). Again, the alignment worked perfectly. I then entered Alnitak for the mount to go to. The mount started to slew as expected but again, after a few seconds, it paused and then slewed in totally the wrong direction!

I disconnected the battery pack, gave it a few minutes & then reconnected. I followed the same process as above and encountered the same results!

As you can imagine, I was a little peed off as it was a beautifully clear night (albeit very cold) and would have been perfect to do some observing.

Has anyone else with a Sky-Watcher AZ-GO2 WiFi mount encountered similar issues & if so, how have you managed to resolve them? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

21 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Typical behaviour with power supply problems. 

Start with loose power connectors, then check the battery pack.

Michael

Thanks for the heads up...might need to invest in a power supply unit rather than relying on batteries

• 11 months later...

I had a similar issue when I used a powerpack to power the mount. It would drop the connection and the mount would reset itself to Alt 0 az 0 i.e. think it is flat and north.  For some strange reason would think all the stars in the universe had moved!!!!