Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun in Wight Light 11/01/23

Manage to get out at between 11:30 and 12:15 for a short grab and go session on the sun before the rain came in. There’s a lot of activity at the moment with plenty to see. Mind, I had to pick my moments between the clouds.

Took a few quick shots with my new iPhone 14 Pro at the end of the session.  Although had to keep the magnification low as I had an annoying dust bunny show up in the pictures which also meant keeping the sun to one side and not in the centre of the FOV :(

Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p, BST Starguider 12mm, single shot using the stock camera app in RAW. Cropped, basic editing in Snapseed and stock camera app. First time I’d taken something using RAW and given the small aperture of the telescope, low magnification and low winter position of the sun it’s come out OK. Look forward to experimenting some more. 

B9B7771C-86FD-4E53-8772-AA0D797BFC10.jpeg

3C06456F-CC37-42B5-8666-998718A4CC42.jpeg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Manage to get out at between 11:30 and 12:15 for a short grab and go session on the sun before the rain came in. There’s a lot of activity at the moment with plenty to see. Mind, I had to pick my moments between the clouds.

Took a few quick shots with my new iPhone 14 Pro at the end of the session.  Although had to keep the magnification low as I had an annoying dust bunny show up in the pictures which also meant keeping the sun to one side and not in the centre of the FOV :(

Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p, BST Starguider 12mm, single shot using the stock camera app in RAW. Cropped, basic editing in Snapseed and stock camera app. First time I’d taken something using RAW and given the small aperture of the telescope, low magnification and low winter position of the sun it’s come out OK. Look forward to experimenting some more. 

B9B7771C-86FD-4E53-8772-AA0D797BFC10.jpeg

3C06456F-CC37-42B5-8666-998718A4CC42.jpeg

Great photos! Never done the sun , maybe it's time to get a filter 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mart29 said:

Great photos! Never done the sun , maybe it's time to get a filter 

I find it very rewarding. As always you can see far more than the smartphone images show. I made a filter for my 200p and it’s not difficult. Although I did buy one readymade for the 1145p - at the time it was all very new and I was playing safe. The bigger aperture does show more detail but is a bit longer to setup. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

I find it very rewarding. As always you can see far more than the smartphone images show. I made a filter for my 200p and it’s not difficult. Although I did buy one readymade for the 1145p - at the time it was all very new and I was playing safe. The bigger aperture does show more detail but is a bit longer to setup. 

I ain't making one mate, I would be scared to look 🤣 will look at purchasing one tomorrow.  

• Haha 1