Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reprocess of Andromeda using BXT, NXT and GHS

edarter

So as part of my evaluation of whether I want to buy BXT and NXT I've been reworking some old data. Over the last couple of days its been Andromeda, which I took back on 2020. Lots has changed for me since then, includign the jump from PS to PI, but I have to say that BXT and NXT are game changers for me in terms of the time spent on processing. I really want to get some new data on this target as well to see if the pacman stars are as bad for me these days (I've changed my setup quite a bit since this data was taken) and I don't know how to fix pacman stars in PI yet. Anyway - here is my previous best attempt and todays back to back...

Previous best

Andromeda.jpg

Todays effort

Andromeda Jan 2023 finished (old data).jpg

Edited by edarter
image IDs
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, edarter said:

Anyway - here is my previous best attempt and todays back to back...

Are the image tags the right way around? For me, the first one is the better image.  Three things stand out on the second image - the salmon/red colour, the noise reduction and alongside it too much processing (probably BXT and sharpening if this is the new image?).

Although the first one is a little noisy, the second image has maybe gone too far the other way.  The detail in the core is more subtle in the first image.  In the second it's starting to look wormy/wiggly.

I took the first image into PI (and it's only the JEG) and ran some light BXT and light NXT on it.  Not ideal at all at this stage, but it still had a positive effect.

I'm sure there can be a middle ground image that has the best of both worlds, no doubt about it.

I dare say not everyone (or anyone?) will agree, even yourself and that's OK.  It's your image. 🙂

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

yeah image tags are the right way round 😕  Hadn't really noticed the salmon redness of it tbh, was more focussed on pulling out more detail from the core. Thats what you get for not stepping away from it for a while I guess! Still learning though and I'm sure I'll come back and have another go at it at some point but desperate to get new (better) data on it as well as I'm sure that will help. Colour balance has always been a pig with this datatset and when I asked here people suggested its likely the LP filter is the culprit, so I've ditched that as I'm 'only' in bortle 5 skies and PI should handle that with DBE etc.

Thanks for the comments though, gives me something to focus on :)

• Like 2