Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Separating threadlocked components

symmetal

Trying to separate the two components clamping the RASA 11 corrector plate but the lens removal tool isn't strong enough. It looks like threadlock has been applied at three spots on the thread. There is about 5mm deep of meshed thread. I've removed the lens tilt adapter which are what the screw holes/marks are on the lower picture.

I can make a longer bar with two M3 screws poking through to give more leverage, and perhaps put the plate in the oven on low heat to possibly soften the threadlock. Googling suggests using WD40 to dissolve the lock compound.

Anyone have any other suggestions? 🙂

IMG_3514.jpg.b994283f23f931ed9bc47b05eef95be8.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg.fa410df8bd5086fcca5563f5748aa260.jpg

Alan

Used a 400mm aluminium bar with 2 holes drilled for protruding M3 screws and it did the trick without having to heat it. Cleaning all the old threadlock out the threads with toothpicks is taking a while though.🙂 I marked an edge where the two parts met before unscrewing it so that assuming the replacement corrector is the same thickness I can apply the same torque as the original had, with fresh threadlock. The last thing you want is the central assembly to start rotating when you tighten or unscrew the camera.

Alan