Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yes, it's another Saturn thread!

Flib

Just saw it for the first time through my decrepid 60mm Tasco. The scope was poking out of the loft window and I could JUST get it into position. It was very shaky and quite blurry but I could easily make out a reasonably sharp, distinct ring.

As bad as the image was, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a couple of minutes ;) I can only imagine what it looks like on a decent scope. It's clouded over now but it was a good hour sesh.

:hello2:Congratulations Flib, that's GREAT!!! Doesn't matter how blurry or sharp it looks, you never forget the first time you saw Saturn. Mine was 4 July 1998 at 4:30am. I blurted out "wow, it looks just like the pictures!" and immediately felt really stupid but no one heard me except a few Owls. :rolleyes:

Try taking the scope outside next time .. viewing out of an open window might cause things to appear pretty blurry due to the air turbulence. Hope your sky clears up.;)

It was a 60mm Tasco that showed me my 1st view of Saturn - 27 years ago !.

With decent eyepieces it's suprising what those scopes can show - the trouble is that the eyepieces supplied with the scope are not decent. I made my own using an old binocular eye lens and that showed me much better views.

Congrats on seeing Saturn for the 1st time - you won't forget it !.

John

Archived