Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New mount for Celestron Ultima 2000 8”

8F8F8BE4-BC7F-4B7C-BF5D-480566FB927E.thumb.jpeg.58c8f55a70bed82bb394d8aae0ad0c8f.jpegHelp me bring my Celestron Ultima 2000 into the next century!
I need a new mount to this old unit because the setup with the build in takes forever
Any suggestions to a (fairly) cheap mount (pref. with go-to) that can get me out in the dark again?

I looked up the Ultima 2000 to see what kind of beast it was.  Seems the CPC800, an 8" SCT on a heavy-duty twin fork and tripod, is a  current equivalent.  So you might feel dissatisfied if you transfer the OTA to a less robust mount.  

What is your budget for this?  There is little available in the way of off-the-shelf alt-azimuth GoTo mounts. There is an Ioptron for a little over £1000.  If a German equatorial would suit, look at a HEQ5 or EQ6, or if you want to stick with Celestron, an AVX. Maybe not the CGX...

If this is too much, you will be looking at used. You might score something like a CPC800 fork assembly, or a Celestron Evolution mount, for less.

If still too much, you may have to settle for a manual mount of some sort. But I wouldn't with a focal length of 2 metres to keep on track.

3 hours ago, Geir1959 said:

8F8F8BE4-BC7F-4B7C-BF5D-480566FB927E.thumb.jpeg.58c8f55a70bed82bb394d8aae0ad0c8f.jpegHelp me bring my Celestron Ultima 2000 into the next century!
I need a new mount to this old unit because the setup with the build in takes forever
Any suggestions to a (fairly) cheap mount (pref. with go-to) that can get me out in the dark again?

What is it about the set up that takes for ever? I have a similar Meade lx90 8" and a Celestron Edge 8" mounted on an AVX (equatorial mount). If I just want to do some quick visual I will still set up the LX90 because it is quicker. Carry tripod out, add mount/OTA and align. To take the AVX out is tripod & mount, then back for the extension bar weights, then the OTA. Then polar align, then star align. LX90 wins every time!