NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dipping my toes into Mono

peonic

Here are my first two attempts using my newly acquired 533MM Pro.

Taken this week using my William Optics FLT91 on my EQ6, using the ZWO 7nm narrowband filter set.

Bubble nebula is a shade under 10 hours of integration time. Monkey Head is around 7½.

I'm still struggling to get the colour palette where I'd like it to be, but I'm enjoying the new camera very much so far!

Monkey Head.png

bubble.png

• Like 6

3 hours ago, peonic said:

Here are my first two attempts using my newly acquired 533MM Pro.

Great start, both images look good and nothing wrong with the colour choices - with narrowband you can use the traditional stuff and/or experiment.

I notice the images at full size look almost double the resolution of the 533MM (I have one too).  If you're drizzling the data thinking it'll give you more detail, I personally don't think it's adding anything here.

The below snippet looks like a mask outline? If you're using masks be careful on the edges - feather them / blur them.  I might not have seen this if the data wasn't twice the size ;) :D 

image.png.0d9eef46c64a1014cd812e3dff349d19.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

I notice the images at full size look almost double the resolution of the 533MM (I have one too).  If you're drizzling the data thinking it'll give you more detail, I personally don't think it's adding anything here.

The below snippet looks like a mask outline? If you're using masks be careful on the edges - feather them / blur them.  I might not have seen this if the data wasn't twice the size ;) :D

I was pondering whether drizzling the data, or at least up-sampling  would help if using the new BlurXTerminator process especially if you want to either do a big crop of a small target or if you intend to get the images printed a decent size, more for obtaining nice round stars than expecting any more detail. ?

Steve

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, peonic said:

I got into the habit of drizzling everything for printing, and a good point on the mask

17 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I was pondering whether drizzling the data, or at least up-sampling  would help if using the new BlurXTerminator process especially if you want to either do a big crop of a small target or if you intend to get the images printed a decent size, more for obtaining nice round stars than expecting any more detail. ?

Good shout Steve.  As always, these things are worth trying and comparing to see if they offer something.

When I see amateur x2 drizzled data, usually everything is just bigger and blurrier.  There's not much extra in there to see I couldn't have seen if the data was half the size, let alone double.

If it helps with printing though (or anything else) then of course keep doing the same.

EDIT: There's no doubting the excellent detail in both images.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, geeklee said:

EDIT: There's no doubting the excellent detail in both images

Absolutely and apologies to @peonic for jumping in your thread with off topic comments without commenting on your great images beforehand.
They are both excellent images, I especially like the framing of the bubble and looks so much better than having it directly centred in the frame.

Steve 

• Like 1