NINA question

muletopia

N.I.N.A. question

Is it possible to set a lower altitude lime and have NINA conclude the sequence if the next frame will cross this limit?
I hit this problem last night.
On my first night using NINA I asked for only 5 frames and at the conclusion of the sequence NINA parked the scope and warmed the camera.
Emboldened by that, for my second run I asked for 20 frames and my mount stopped tracking when it hit its altitude limit. So PHD2 lost the plot, naturally. So kill PHD2 and NINA,parked the scope Sitech and warmed the camera with nebulosity, only inconvenient but it really should not be required.
Chris

Are you using the basic or advance sequencer? I haven't used the basic sequencer for a while, but as @scotty38 says there's an option in the advanced sequencer that allows the imaging to keep looping until an altitude limit is reached.

If you want to set a desired altitude due to trees, fences etc entering the image, there's a neat feature in NINA where you can create a horizon file. See the video tutorial from Patriot Astro explaining to create a horizon file and how to use it in NINA. 

In a nutshell, at your imaging site you turn around 360° and take altitude coordinates of obstructions like roofs, trees, fences which results in a map of your horizon. When you set this in NINA, you will be able to see your horizon when planning your session for each target in question. Then, you can loop your imaging session to only take images  when above your horizon, and you never have to worry about choosing a specific altitude for the target again 🙂

3 hours ago, Richard_ said:

Are you using the basic or advance sequencer? I haven't used the basic sequencer for a while, but as @scotty38 says there's an option in the advanced sequencer that allows the imaging to keep looping until an altitude limit is reached.

If you want to set a desired altitude due to trees, fences etc entering the image, there's a neat feature in NINA where you can create a horizon file. See the video tutorial from Patriot Astro explaining to create a horizon file and how to use it in NINA. 

In a nutshell, at your imaging site you turn around 360° and take altitude coordinates of obstructions like roofs, trees, fences which results in a map of your horizon. When you set this in NINA, you will be able to see your horizon when planning your session for each target in question. Then, you can loop your imaging session to only take images  when above your horizon, and you never have to worry about choosing a specific altitude for the target again 🙂

Thanks Richard, I  played that video, not flash with a satellite  link to the web.  The good thing is I have an horizon file for my Sidereal technology controlled Mesu Mount, even has the hrz extension.  I use CDC so I can put it in to CDC . I am a newcomer to NINA so  far only two simple sequences. So if I set the NINA hrz file 2 degrees above my Sitech one it should be OK. I will have to watch the video at least once more taking notes about NINA. I am also trying to read the NINA advanced sequence guide, so far it could just as well be written in Sanskrit

Chris

5 hours ago, muletopia said:

Thanks Richard, I  played that video, not flash with a satellite  link to the web.  The good thing is I have an horizon file for my Sidereal technology controlled Mesu Mount, even has the hrz extension.  I use CDC so I can put it in to CDC . I am a newcomer to NINA so  far only two simple sequences. So if I set the NINA hrz file 2 degrees above my Sitech one it should be OK. I will have to watch the video at least once more taking notes about NINA. I am also trying to read the NINA advanced sequence guide, so far it could just as well be written in Sanskrit

Chris

Sounds like you're already familiar with horizons then, Chris! 

Yeah it took me a good while to figure out the advanced sequencer. The YouTube channel I linked (Patriot Astro) has a video about using the advanced sequencer and he also provides some blank templates to work with (eg monochrome filter sequences, one shot colour sequences). It was that video and the templates which got me into using the advanced sequencer.

It's a lot to take in when you're new to NINA, so by all means start out with the basic sequencer and get used to that first 🙂