Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

December 14, 2022: Spotted C/2022 E3 (ZTF) again, this time with binoculars

When I got up to make breakfast I noticed the skies were pretty clear, so I put on a warm coat and took the Helios LightQuest 16x80 bins out. Moonlight was a bit troublesome, but at least the moon was far away from Corona Borealis. After a few attempts, and getting out the bigger star chart and getting the position right (I first accidentally looked between gamma and delta CrB, rather than delta and epsilon CrB), I noticed a little ball of fuzz. Repeating the exercise a couple of times confirmed the little ball of fuzz, and checking the position on the map confirmed the sighting. No tail could be seen. This is my second sighting of this comet, but the first in binoculars.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Another binocular observation of C/2022 E 3 (ZTF) through a ten minutes cloud gap this morning 06.15 - 06.30 CET, using the vintage Wachter Gigant 14x100. Found the comet, still well positioned in the Corona Borealis curvature, immediately, as a still small, but distinct cloud, slightly N elongated. The brightness I estimated at around 8.2 mag (comparison using the Sidgwick approach with 7.8 mag HD 142243 and 8.2 mag HD 142418 close by). The coma diameter was around 7 to 8 arc min; the degree of condensation (DC) about 5 or 6. No tail visible. A nice target, that looks promising for the next weeks.

Stephan

• Like 3