SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My image of the moon from earlier this week

TheycallmeRiver

I took this on Wednesday 7th at about 1900hrs.

Fairly standard fare for the Lunar imaging forum I assume, but for me this is the first astro image i've ever taken that I was genuinely proud of, and the first one i've ever edited myself.

I took it with my iPhone X held up to a Hyperion zoom eyepiece which was at around 8mm.  Single frame.  Scope was a 10" dob.

I played about with it in lightroom which is a first for me, and I don't know the program very well at all.  I think maybe I oversharpened it a bit?

Any constructive criticism please?  I'm planning on taking more images over the Lunar cycle and then putting them up on the wall in a series.

IMG_6156.thumb.jpg.cb1c6a41446ff545023ebb4031426565.jpg

• Like 4

I am constantly and pleasantly surprised by what is possible using a mobile phone camera.

Nice image with good detail.

I do notice a bit of a ghost edge on the limb to the right side of the image. Not sure what may be the cause?

Did you hand hold or use a mobile phone mount on your scope?

It was hand held.  I took about 10 pictures over the course of about 20 minutes and then just edited the one I thought was the best.

Here is another unedited capture.  I'd guess that whatever ghosting you're seeing was either caused by my wobbly phone or by mistakes I made in editing..  It looked tack sharp when observing it normally through the ep.

image.png.9233c8ae1367d0022d41a2dda2f3f3aa.png

Mind if I ask you a question?  If I were to buy an entry level ZWO camera should I expect an end result markedly superior to my original image, or would they both be in the same ballpark after stacking etc?  I'm really new at this.  Never taken a photo with anything other than my phone, and i've had absolutely zero success on either Mars or Jupiter so far.