NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What scope

Hi looking for advice.About to buy a telescope stuck between a CD80edr on a hg5 mount,CD100edr or GT version or 102 slt.Has anyone got any experience of these scopes?Also can anyone recommend a good Star Atlas ?

Hello Jason,

I have the 90mm version of the Skywatcher Maksutov. It's a great little scope!

Do you wish to speciallise in any particular field of Astronomy - Moon and Planets, Deep Sky stuff, Astrophotography, or imaging, or are you into general astronomical observing?

If general, I would recommend the standard Skywatcher (or other) 8" reflector on an HEQ5 motorised mount.

It is difficult to choose a scope when there are that many to choose from!

This is perhaps why you need to try and be a bit more specific in looking at your needs and circumstances before buying.

No doubt you will receive lots of good advice from SGL colleagues on here.

Best wishes,

philsail1

i would love a scope that could cover all but thats not possible.Visual observation and progress into astrophotography /imaging is the plan.I don't know if better to go for manual then build up to drives and autoguider etc or risk divorce and buy a goto to start with.Fancied the Cd100edr/gt due to special offers on. Was adviced the 80mm version would be dissappointing.

I personally would not go for Go-To as a beginner. Most of your money will be tied up in the electronics and you will loose out on other things such as better optics and build quality.

I would go for better and bigger optics and learn the sky yourself with a map and red torch.

You get much better sense of achievement then just just pressing a button. Also some of these go-to's take a while to set up and to me thats time wasted, as being in the UK we suffer from very little observing time as it is.

The 100ED is an excellent scope but get at least a HEQ5 mount as it is pretty long and without a good mount will be a bit shakey.

First thing order a book called "Turn Left at Orion" the best £15 you will spend.

I don't know much about atlases as I use a few free software planetarium programs one is Stellarium and the other Cartes du ceil. Both are free but you need a PC or laptop.

Archived