Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

meteor, maybe?

DaveL59

i  saw a bright light pass below jupiter about 5-45pm   wasnt a plane nor a meteor faster than the first and slower than the second. lost it in some cloud cover. did manage to get the scope on it for an instant  but not for  long enough. also seemed too slow for a satellite.

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2022 at 21:21, DaveL59 said:

out for a smoke and though it's quite cloudy I spotted a faint line track rapidly across the sky to my SW perhaps 45 degree elevation, headed SE-I'd say. 

Too fast to be a plane, so a meteor perhaps or some space junk?

Space junk is always slow (meteors can be too, but it's rare for them to be slower than satellites), about the speed of a high altitude commercial aircraft, and never much faster, so I'd agree, meteor is a good bet. There are plenty around this time of year, and quite a few big ones too - it's been the busiest month so far by a long way for my dedicated meteor cameras.

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2022 at 23:14, apaulo said:

i  saw a bright light pass below jupiter about 5-45pm   wasnt a plane nor a meteor faster than the first and slower than the second. lost it in some cloud cover. did manage to get the scope on it for an instant  but not for  long enough. also seemed too slow for a satellite.

Keep in mind that perspective can significantly influence apparent velocity. Ie if a meteoroid is heading directly towards you (the most extreme case possible), it would not appear to move at all!

But some meteors are already quite slow, and in extreme cases, where they approach Earth from behind in terms of it's direction of travel in it's orbit around the Sun, meteoroids can enter the atmosphere at velocities of under 10 km/s, which is around the upper limit for objects in orbit around Earth.

Here's a slow one my camera caught last year. It's not as slow as they can be, but it's getting there. This meteoroid was clocked @ 13.54 km/s by NEMETODE, which is only slightly faster than a fast satellite!

For comparison this one was traveling at a more typical velocity, although I don't know exactly how fast - probably around 50+ km/s I'd guesstimate:

Not my videos, but here and here are two more examples of natural events to compare with - there is a lot of variation, and different behaviors/characteristics possible with natural events.

So there is some overlap, and it's not always easy to tell one way or the other without some investigation, although space junk/reentries do tend to have a characteristic look to them, but some slow fireballs can also potentially look like this, so you will have to do some digging to confirm one way or the other. Here are a few examples of junk - watch out with the first there is swearing:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5001347/canada-fire-rocket-meteor-night-sky/

Here's a search to bring up more examples.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, apaulo said:

what i saw 2 nights ago passing under jupiter  was the space station.  i saw it again last night, so quite defo about it. 

which direction does it track? What I saw was traversing W-E or more NW-SE perhaps and left a long track. Not a plane as it was far too fast for a jet liner hence my thought it was a meteor.

You can also check here for meteors that might be possible candidates - but not all events make it to the matched event/analysis stage, so if you can't find a likely candidate, it does not necessarily mean there wasn't one. Ideally you want to check the "meteors live" page here, as soon as possible after the event since older events are discarded to make way for newer.

• Like 1