Skywatcher AZ-GTi only runs one motor

SteveTL

Hi friends, I’m new to the mount. Just got one brand new. I can connect to the Synscan app and control the telescope up/down but for the AZ axis it doesn’t move (No motor sound). Does anyone have experience on this? Should I open the cover to check the cables or send back to the seller as I’m travelling so sending back is the last resort.

thanks

E16EEEC4-4746-400C-A298-87E4B4DF44CF.jpeg

1 hour ago, SteveTL said:

Hi friends, I’m new to the mount. Just got one brand new. I can connect to the Synscan app and control the telescope up/down but for the AZ axis it doesn’t move (No motor sound). Does anyone have experience on this? Should I open the cover to check the cables or send back to the seller as I’m travelling so sending back is the last resort.

thanks

Sounds defective to me - have you checked the diagonal controls just to make sure it is a motor issue and not an app issue? I'd send it back if it is brand new rather than risk losing the warranty by opening it up.

1 hour ago, Which one is Polaris said:

Are your batteries OK, showing red.

Cheers

That's the battery for the phone, I would not expect that to have any impact on the mount performance.

2 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Sounds defective to me - have you checked the diagonal controls just to make sure it is a motor issue and not an app issue? I'd send it back if it is brand new rather than risk losing the warranty by opening it up.

That's the battery for the phone, I would not expect that to have any impact on the mount performance.

Video: 

diagonal Control also work on the vertical axis. If anyone already open it up, do you think its the motor, mainboard or cable related problem? Can we just buying parts to change it?

What I tried:

- Use 2 ios devices

- synScan app, SynScan Pro

- tighten the Azinuth Clutch knob

thank all of you for very fast responses

Edited by SteveTL

Is the mount under warranty ? if so contact the retailer from where it was purchased and obtain the procedure to return it for repair or replacement.

If its out of warranty then the only way to confirm if its the motor or the mother board is to open it up and swap the connections.  If the fault follows the motor then that would be the cause.  Equally if having swapped the motors the same axis fails to work then a replacement mother board is required

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-replacement-motherboard-for-az-gti-mounting.html

£87 with a two / three day lead time