SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripod for a startracker ? What would you use ?

Just thought i would get a few ideas regarding the tripod you use to mount a star tracker . Assuming the max payload of 5kgs ( or under ) i have used , in the past , a steel EQ5 ,with adapter, a Geekoto Alluminium tripod and a sirui carbon fibre tripod . Each had their pluses and indeed minuses . The steel tripod was rock solid but of course the portability suffers , the alluminium tripod was ok but a bit flimsy , whereas the Carbon Fibre was a nice weight although a bit on the pricey side . For the record  i rarely take equipment out into the field prefering the back garden . but its still nice to move everything outside witout too much weight .

My set up includes a sharpstar 61 ii scope and a dslr .  

If anyone has any specific tripods in mind, or any sugestions  , let me know please .  :) 

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Just thought i would get a few ideas regarding the tripod you use to mount a star tracker . Assuming the max payload of 5kgs ( or under ) i have used , in the past , a steel EQ5 ,with adapter, a Geekoto Alluminium tripod and a sirui carbon fibre tripod . Each had their pluses and indeed minuses . The steel tripod was rock solid but of course the portability suffers , the alluminium tripod was ok but a bit flimsy , whereas the Carbon Fibre was a nice weight although a bit on the pricey side . For the record  i rarely take equipment out into the field prefering the back garden . but its still nice to move everything outside witout too much weight .

My set up includes a sharpstar 61 ii scope and a dslr .  

If anyone has any specific tripods in mind, or any sugestions  , let me know please .  :) 

Have you considered a fixed pier for the garden? It would seem to eliminate all of the problems you mention. Then, you just need something portable for those rare occasions when you take equipment into the field. Perhaps the EQ5 could work for that, even if it is not ideal, because you would not be doing it often.

Hi Mandy , the plan as it stands is to get an EQ mount but also to use the small scope with the star adventurer  , so you are a bit ahead of me  :)

I have an AZ 4 , fhe tripod is equivalent to the EQ 5 but it's heavy for a set up that I want to be light but stable . Choices choices ... Lol