SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bahtinov mask for observing?

I've recently got a Skywatcher 150 newtonian and am using it with the eps that came with a Celestron Firstscope, which will be upgraded to BSTs over the next few months. 

But is there any advantage to be gained by using a mask mainly for planetary observing? 

You could use it to achieve critical focus visually, I suppose.  You would then remove it to observe and resist the temptation to tweak the focus.

There is an apodizing mask you can make from window screen material and crafting foam board to supposedly improve planetary views.  I made one back in the late 90s and get it out sometimes to see if it helps.  My impression of it is that it makes very little difference in contrast or sharpness.  However, it makes for a really trippy view with lots of diffraction effects going on everywhere outside of the center.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I was hoping that it might help me focus better, but I'm not sure if it'll make any difference as I'm limited by the poor eyepieces. 

I'm also thinking about upgrading the focuser sometime in the future. 

22 hours ago, Louis D said:

You could use it to achieve critical focus visually, I suppose.  You would then remove it to observe and resist the temptation to tweak the focus.

There is an apodizing mask you can make from window screen material and crafting foam board to supposedly improve planetary views.  I made one back in the late 90s and get it out sometimes to see if it helps.  My impression of it is that it makes very little difference in contrast or sharpness.  However, it makes for a really trippy view with lots of diffraction effects going on everywhere outside of the center.

"trippy view".....love it🤣

I've tried my bahtinov mask on my 130pds for visual and I don't think it really helps.  I might not be a great judge though.

Honestly I find that most times using the coarse focuser works well enough.  The majority of the time it feels like the focus 'clicks' you just get close and then the view suddenly gets much better.  Most of the time my attempts to use the fine focus just makes it worse lol.

• Like 2