NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

powerbox advance Issue

Just setting up my new powerbox advance tonight with the new zwo 533mc pro.and try as i might i cannot get the camera to take an image when connected to any of the usb 3.0 ports..

i've tried different leads and still the same, the camera works fine into usb 3.0 ports in my computer.....the camera is recognised in nina and cools but when i take a shot i get the following error.

looks like i may have a lemon....

.969996442_20221026_233022(Medium).thumb.jpg.e759e95be66c6feda204c23adf2ebe95.jpg

Check the 'USB Traffic' setting in the camera driver setup. For the Ascom driver you need to tick the 'Advanced' checkbox to see it. If set too high the camera fails when downloading images. Plugged into your computer directly there is no separate USB hub in the way, so can likely work at a higher USB Traffic setting compared to when it's plugged into the USB hub in the Powerbox.

Alan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, symmetal said:

Check the 'USB Traffic' setting in the camera driver setup. For the Ascom driver you need to tick the 'Advanced' checkbox to see it. If set too high the camera fails when downloading images. Plugged into your computer directly there is no separate USB hub in the way, so can likely work at a higher USB Traffic setting compared to when it's plugged into the USB hub in the Powerbox.

Alan

thanks any chance you could point me to that  ??

There will be a 'camera properties' or 'camera setup' option in whatever capture programme you use which will bring up the Ascom driver setup dialog, (if you're using the Ascom driver) similar to this

Ascom.png.ba509debe24be6d6365b916e011a7ac5.png

You likely need to select 'Advanced' in order to display the Camera Setting section where the USB Limit can be set. It is usually default at 40% which is the safe lowest setting but this may have been changed without knowing by other means. For small to medium size sensors cameras I can usually set it to 100% (full speed) but with APS-C or larger I need to set it at 70 to 80% maximum to avoid error messages or the program hanging when downloading an image.

As you last reported that using the camera USB ports it also fails on your main PC, it does suggest that the USB traffic is overloading the system, so hopefully the above will help. 🙂

Likely not related to your problem, but it's best to inhibit the host PC from turning off the power to USB ports to save power if it thinks they aren't being used. You can set this in Device Manager and expanding the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section. Right clicking on any entry ending in 'Hub' and selecting 'Properties' and then 'Power Management', untick the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' on each entry.

Alan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, symmetal said:

There will be a 'camera properties' or 'camera setup' option in whatever capture programme you use which will bring up the Ascom driver setup dialog, (if you're using the Ascom driver) similar to this

You likely need to select 'Advanced' in order to display the Camera Setting section where the USB Limit can be set. It is usually default at 40% which is the safe lowest setting but this may have been changed without knowing by other means. For small to medium size sensors cameras I can usually set it to 100% (full speed) but with APS-C or larger I need to set it at 70 to 80% maximum to avoid error messages or the program hanging when downloading an image.

As you last reported that using the camera USB ports it also fails on your main PC, it does suggest that the USB traffic is overloading the system, so hopefully the above will help. 🙂

Likely not related to your problem, but it's best to inhibit the host PC from turning off the power to USB ports to save power if it thinks they aren't being used. You can set this in Device Manager and expanding the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section. Right clicking on any entry ending in 'Hub' and selecting 'Properties' and then 'Power Management', untick the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' on each entry.

Alan

Many thanks ,the camera has stopped altogether wont even power on so its getting collected tomorrow.

will get a refund and then see what to get ,i am so unlucky with new kit it's unbelievable...

thanks for the advice .

Just for when you're back up and running, are you aware of the USB port quirks of the PBA? Also in NINA I,d recommend using the native drivers as they expose the options better so you don't need to dive into the ascom settings if you want to change some of the options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

Just for when you're back up and running, are you aware of the USB port quirks of the PBA? Also in NINA I,d recommend using the native drivers as they expose the options better so you don't need to dive into the ascom settings if you want to change some of the options.

great stuff scotty i may be picking your brains ....😃

2 hours ago, symmetal said:

Alan

Alan how do fetch up the zwo screen  ??

Ok chaps i have been testing on my asi 224 camera and i get the same error most of the time ...sometimes if i disconnect the camera and reconnect it works .......found the usb limit tried on 100 amd at 40 where it was makes no difference i still get the 2 error messages....😏

any ideas .ive tried both usb ports on the dell laptop. 

ok I think I may have sussed out the issue .....phd 2 .....is the culprit I believe .when I was connecting all of the devices in NINA I realised after reading something from a couple of years ago on cloudy nights.......phd2 can get confused if you have more than one zwo camera on the setup ,sure enough I checked and it had auto checked the main camera as the guide camera ,did it every time .so there is a toggle to swap the cameras as in the picture ..i guess ive never had the issue before as both cameras different makes ,now they are the same it caused this issue

.851503981_phd2.png.ac3bad06e8bb693e5d428792504ecf21.png

20221031_202928.thumb.jpg.0180cc2f7d5dc15bee8f05c45c299570.jpg

• Like 1