NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 29.3.2009

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" Dobsonian FL 1829mm F4.5

No Moon

Seeing mag 4.2

Only managed 90 minutes last night due to relatives coming over but it was clear night again. I think I'm getting spoilt with all these clear nights.

Started M3 as always out of this world. Easily resolved 40 stars with my 8mm Hyperion. The core is very bright as well.

Staying in Canes Venacti I looked the M63 a spiral galaxy its 12.6x7.5' in size and shines at mag 13.3, it's quite easy to find and was a very well defined circular smudge against the black background. Could easily see the brighter core but no detail of the arms were seen. First time I've seen this one and another messier to tick off my list.

Then onto Coma Berenices and the globular cluster M53 . Another first sighting and another fantastic sight, not as bright or as large as M3 but easilly resolved at least 25 stars with the 8mm Hyperion. Nice and bright and easily found.

Droped down about one degree and found another globular cluster NGC 5053. Not as large as it's partner M53 but just as nice to look at. A bit harder to resolve as many stars and I think I counted 15.

Rounded of the night with Saturn. By now facing south and at 44 degrees it showed alot of colour annd banding and I thought I could at times see a slight gap in the rings at the ends. The moons I observed going from right to left were Hyperion, Rhea, Tethys, Encelade, Dione, Titan and lepetus. Hyperion was hit and miss only observable with averted vision and appeared only in glimpses of good seeing as it is mag 14.2. Mimas was inside the orb of Saturn so did not see this one. One fantastic sight was Tethys, it was within seconds of the end of Saturn rings and made a fantastic sight.

Finished the observing session at 23.30.

Only managed 90 minutes last night due to relatives coming over.

Don't you just hate it when that happens!;)

Great that you're getting so much use out of that big dob and thanks for the report - you seem to be well into your M's.

Andrew

Not tonight John.

They have looked in the past and didn't really show any "Gosh thats good" remarks so I don't bother anymore.

Wife and son like a look, thats the main thing.

Archived