SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Question on dealing with company that will not enforce warranty

I live in the United States, and I received a clearly damaged iOptron Mak 150 from iOptron. It was a replacement scope for a scope that had a damaged focuser.  I still have the warranty on it. 

They are refusing to honor the warranty despite it having a chip in the secondary baffle shield/skirt, scratch on the secondary mirror, and leaking adhesive/scratch on the side of the secondary mirror. I am not too worried about the adhesive/scratch on the side of the secondary mirror, but everything else seems to be clearly against their warranty, and I just want a replacement without this kind of damage. They will not honor the warranty, and even acknowledged the chipped secondary baffle, but are claiming the scratch is not a scratch, when it clearly is. I asked other people if they noticed damage with their older versions of the same scope, and they said NO.

20220928_204503.jpg

20220928_204917.jpg

20220928_222638.jpg

• zernikepolynomial changed the title to Question on dealing with company that will not enforce warranty

Can't really help as this forum is predominately UK based, and the UK has different consumer laws than the US.  Here in the UK there is a binding act passed in law that gives consumers protection even if something is outside of the normal 12 months warranty period.   

1 minute ago, malc-c said:

Can't really help as this forum is predominately UK based, and the UK has different consumer laws than the US.  Here in the UK there is a binding act passed in law that gives consumers protection even if something is outside of the normal 12 months warranty period.   

I am so frustrated with iOptron, they gave me literal crap as a replacement to a scope that came with a faulty focuser, and spit in my face when I tell them its got obvious damage on multiple parts. I would accept this scope for a used price, not a new price. Anybody else have advice on what to do?

I assume US consumer law is similar to the UK, in that your contract is with the dealer the scope was purchased from, not the wholesaler or manufacture.  If the scope is within its warranty period then it's down to the dealer to resolve, and then they in turn would seek redress from the wholesaler or manufacture (depending how the supply chain is set up).   What did the dealer say ?

1 hour ago, zernikepolynomial said:

I live in the United States, and I received a clearly damaged iOptron Mak 150 from iOptron. It was a replacement scope for a scope that had a damaged focuser.  I still have the warranty on it. 

They are refusing to honor the warranty despite it having a chip in the secondary baffle shield/skirt, scratch on the secondary mirror, and leaking adhesive/scratch on the side of the secondary mirror. I am not too worried about the adhesive/scratch on the side of the secondary mirror, but everything else seems to be clearly against their warranty, and I just want a replacement without this kind of damage. They will not honor the warranty, and even acknowledged the chipped secondary baffle, but are claiming the scratch is not a scratch, when it clearly is. I asked other people if they noticed damage with their older versions of the same scope, and they said NO.

20220928_204503.jpg

20220928_204917.jpg

20220928_222638.jpg

Hmmm, I feel for you, but am at a loss, as to what you are asking or wanting from us here in the UK….or is this just a vent post….? 🤔🤔