NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hidden galaxy unhidden...

ollypenrice

IC342 was an obvious candidtate for the extreme star control now possible. I was able to stretch the galaxy harder and to reduce the stars which once preserved its modesty like a forest of fig leaves.   On the other hand, that business of hiding behind the stars was part of its character so I had to come to a compromise. Not too much bare skin for the hidden galaxy, then!

91723726_1C342SXTWEBsmall.thumb.jpg.8cb3f8b9f7a81f6c4e72666834d0a7b2.jpg

Olly

• Like 21

Olly, you beat me to it, I also was thinking about other 'hidden' candidates for star reduction and hit upon IC342. This is 8.4 hrs integration with the Esprit 150/IMX571 OSC dual rig from January of this year. The exercise has revealed more of the galaxy but it retains the golden hue from the dust. There also appears to be traces of IFN present in the background which I don't think for one moment is genuine. There is a lot more Ha signal in your image.

This would certainly be a most impressive Northern Hemisphere galaxy if it was outside the galactic plane.

968253910_Image06-lpc-cbg-St(2).thumb.jpg.82beaf80bbac515c4b679a5e584e4adb.jpg

Edited by tomato
  • Like 6

My original is below - and that had received an inordinate amount of effort using assorted classical methods of star reduction.

714225563_IC342LRGB16HRSLRGBWeb.thumb.jpg.65c8f1ffd454b84749c63fff990adf32.jpg

I could have brought the stars down by a lot more but I wanted to preserve some evidence of why the galaxy is so red and why the scene contains so little blue. When the stars were brought down too far, implying a transparent sky, you just found yourself wondering why it was that colour. The region's gas and does does create more diffuseed stars as well. A bigger difference lies in the amount of faint outer galaxy we can see.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
typo
  • Like 2