SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

stacking issue - corrupt files

Last night I gathered some data and I am getting issues. I took a tranche of 70 x 3 minutes at unity gain / minus 10 followed by a separate tranche of 20, same settings, same object, I just wanted more data.

I am using a ZWO 183mc and ZWO ASI Air plus. The object was the Wizard neb.

I am getting an error message in DSS which says all of the following:     

(file details, this being the details of the file name and type etc)    returned a status of 107, error text is: tried to move past end of file.

I tried stacking in Siril and it also did not stack all my files. Both appeared to manage the first 43 FITS and the rest returned an error or for siril just didn't stack. 

I have tried a different machine, other versions of DSS but none of this helped and I am at a loss. 

The camera and air plus are under warranty but really would rather it be a simple fix for me otherwise it's warranty time. 

Any ideas?

Steve

Are you copying the files from the asiair to the processing computer HDD/SSD prior to stacking?

Do the problem files open individually, ie can they been previewed in DSS when you scroll down the file list or when opened individually in something like Fits Liberator?

As per your prior thread on this matter it sounds like the files aren't being written correctly and contain no data, you'll see this in the details view of each file in Windows when looking at the files.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Elp said:

Are you copying the files from the asiair to the processing computer HDD/SSD prior to stacking?

Do the problem files open individually, ie can they been previewed in DSS when you scroll down the file list or when opened individually in something like Fits Liberator?

As per your prior thread on this matter it sounds like the files aren't being written correctly and contain no data, you'll see this in the details view of each file in Windows when looking at the files.

I have been copying via a USB stick (tried more than one) and then transferring the files to my main PC. Just wondering if transferring direct from the Air+ to the pc might be a better option.

ASI fits viewer is a no, it tells me they are corrupt.

Attached is the details selection of one file thats fine, one that won't open, they appear the same!

Is there anywhere else I can look?

335236263_2022-10-09(1).thumb.png.185bfeaf428d0f370a0fa80e970873f1.png

Does that file 44 open within the asiair itself?

In terms of file transfer I normally take the card out and put it into the card reader port of my laptop (or you could get a pc version). It usually is a quick process too.

Edited by Elp

18 minutes ago, Elp said:

Does that file 44 open within the asiair itself?

No it doesn't

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

Also are the files after 44 also corrupt?

every file after 43 is corrupt, including 1-20 of the second batch.

The first thing I would try is a new memory card in the asiair, not sure how to load the os onto it, think the instructions are on their website. It seems like there is a writing error going on somewhere.

To eliminate the camera you can try running a series of darks or something directly to a pc via asi studio software (not using the asiair) to see if the camera or cable is causing it (I wouldn't think so).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

I would agree with this part but totally lost here. I have found that the usb stick I have been using has a dodgy connection. It has disconnected then reconnected again and I am thinking it might be that in some way although exactly what I am not aware.

I have a new usb stick on order to see how that goes but here is what I was thinking.

Next batch of data try first copying the data directly to the pc via cable.

then try via new usb stick to see how that works.

finally try with the dodgy connection usb.

I think I should take it from there. Rather annoying this as is any unknown issue but maybe some experimenting will help identify the root cause.

1 minute ago, Elp said:

The first thing I would try is a new memory card in the asiair, not sure how to load the os onto it, think the instructions are on their website. It seems like there is a writing error going on somewhere.

To eliminate the camera you can try running a series of darks or something directly to a pc via asi studio software (not using the asiair) to see if the camera or cable is causing it (I wouldn't think so).

agreed, will look into this tomorrow

22 minutes ago, Elp said:

I haven't tried it personally but you should be able to connect to the asiair over WiFi or ethernet, and copy like that.

Just found this:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/tutorials/asiair-guide-how-to-transfer-images-from-asiair-updated.html

Thanks so much for this, I hope transfer of data is where the issue lies. ( I strongly suspect it is). If I can do a data transfer over wifi it would be the obvious and simple solution.

I have managed to re-create this issue and isolate where it comes from. I feel rather foolish because it was really staring me straight in the face but for whatever reason I just didn't catch on earlier.

Here's what I did. Created a batch of 90 3 minute subs in lights mode as it is these that were corrupting.

Transferred these to my pc via direct wired connection, via wifi and via two different dongles and placed into 4 different folders so I could identify.

I would point out I realised part way through this exercise that one of my dongles had occasionally having connection issues and this should have been a red light, sadly it wasn't. Apparently in windows this is what the error message means Win32 sub system an error 107 is "ERROR_DISK_CHANGE

So it should come as no surprise files loaded onto my PC worked as long as they were not loaded using the faulty dongle. Faulty dongle files displayed the error above.

I have dumped the faulty dongle and in future will transfer my files over wifi, slow but ok as long as power to it is maintained, safest. 

Steve