NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A clear sky for once

Albireo380

As this was the last night before the clocks went forward and the weather was (surprisingly) reasonable, I took the 12" Flextube up to a site 20 miles north of Glasgow, near the village of Drymen. The sky was very clear, with the Double Cluster and M44 being naked eye objects.

I set up the Dob at about 8.10pm and (using a 20mm Widescan III EP) looked at M42 at x75 mag. It was getting low in the SouthWest, but the trapezium was easily resolved into 4 stars, with just a hint of the 5th. The nebulosity was pronounced and filled much of the FOV.

I then moved to Saturn and the rings + Titan, Dione & Tethys. There was a little banding on the planet itself, but it was not pronounced (Oh for the light gathering and contrast of a 12" Apo refractor - in my dreams).

I then recollimated the 'scope as it was fully cooled down and moved over to iota Cancri - a very nice blue-white and orange double.

Around 9.00pm I noticed a very long lasting & bright satellite move Nth to Sth from UMaj. The brightness lasted over half the sky - not sure if it was the ISS or not.

Then changed EPs for a 16mm Nagler (x94) and moved to M51 - lots of detail in the M51 itself, the spiral structure being very evident. Just a hint of nebulosity stretching over to NGC5195, which itself was pretty bright. I checked with my 15x70 binoculars and M51 was a binocular object - just a small elongated smudge, but definitely there.

Moving on to M13 I switched to a 9mm Nagler (x167) - Wow!, it filled half the FOV, with stars resolved to the core and big star streams reaching out beyond the main cluster. I just sat and looked at it for ages.

I then moved over to M92, a much more compact Glob in Hercules than M13, but very nice none the same. Again the 12" Flextube resolved it to the core. I am starting to really like the look of this wee Glob and keep returning to it. A little jewel, overshadowed by the flashy M13.

I finally moved to M57, the ghostly ring nebula in Lyra. Very nice image in the EP, with a hint of a central star (or was I imagining it?).

I packed up about 11pm and drove back home - pleased with a few hours simple observing. Sometimes it is nice just to spend time at the telescope, rather than think about using a camera.

All in all, a great few hours simple observing with a very nice 'scope. The 12" Flextube certainly is a great "light bucket". I wonder if they will ever do a 16" one?

Tom

Great report, thank you Tom... you certainly got the most out of the session. I've avertedly seen the star streams you mentioned cascading from M13 with my 8" SCT. For the most part they were nebulosities but a few of the individual stars showed.. very lovely sight.

Regarding the satellite you saw, the ISS moves in a general east to west direction, so that probably wasn't it. Have you ever used the Heavens-Above satellite site? You'll be able to find out what you saw.

Archived