NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help using wxAstrocapture

Went out last night full of beaans hoping to get my first webcam image using wxAstrocapture, did not go well, for over an hour i tried to capture Saturn but could not even get it into view, all i got was a dark patch with freckly bits as a picture on the computer screen,

is there anyone on this site who could give me step by step advice on how to set up the software to get a image, i`m using a philips spc900nc webcam with wxAstrocapture as the avi software and registax 5, didn`t get as far as registax as i had no image to look at, most disapointed.

any help please ;)

Red

I have been trying to do the same as you but didn't even get to see Saturn let alone film it!

I managed to set up WX relatively easily and connected the webcam to the laptop and did a 'connect'. So far so good. There was clearly a signal getting through. As I moved the webcam, the image changed colour. It definitely wasn't focused though. I gave it a go by filming a chimney about a mile away in daylight! I tried and tried to get any sort of picture but it took me about an hour of switching extenders, playing with the focuser, adding/removing a diagonal and using two different barlows until I managed to get a focused image. Then the blumming cloud arrived later

The lesson i learned was that with the 2.5x Powermate, the focal plane of the the webcam is some 80mm BEYOND the normal focusing point when I image with my CCD. Much further than I expected

I suspect that's your problem as well. Try focusing with the webcam some distance (it's a bit trial and error) beyond the backfocus position of your scope

Good luck

I too had similar problems when I started webcam imaging. My tip - make a note of exactly what changes in kit (adaptors, extenders etc...) and changes in focus position you need to make to get the webcam in focus as compared to a particular widefield eyepiece.

For instance, I did this with the full Moon as a target as it's relatively so large and bright.

I now know that if I centre my target with my 20mm Moonfish eyepiece with a diagonal in place and then swap to my Toucam Pro II with the standard adaptor, that I have turn the focus knob on my LX200 4.5 revolutions clockwise to get the webcam image in focus. I have this written down for all the camera/telescope combinations I have, including with barlows and focal reducers. It saves hours of frustration.

Now I simply centre and focus the target in my 20mm eyepiece, take out the eyepiece and diagonal, put in the toicam + adaptor, turn the focusser 4.5 revolution clockwise and I know the image will be more or less in focus.

I then turn the gain right up high so that I can use the slightly out-of-focus disc of the image to centre the target in the frame and then, once centred, reduce the gain to it's final level and do final fine focussing.

Hope this helps

• 2 years later...

Archived