Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on my Skywatcher 150 PDS

Hi all,

So a while ago I did some research and decided to buy the skywatcher 150PDS with a EQ5 mount (no guidance). I do not have a lot of time, but I have a nice private roof that is perfect for stargazing. However it simple doesn't work with the gear I got with the telescope. I would for starters like to look at the moon, just point the telescope at it and look at it to begin with, but I do not see more than a bright blop. I got the 28mm lens I got with the telescope mounted on it, but no luck. Is there anything I should buy in addition to these things to make it work? Thanks it advance.

I added an image with the accessories I got with the telescope.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

IMG_1581.jpg

It's not clear how your setting kt all up but usually the left hand item in the pic goes I to the focuser tube on the scope... the part with thumb screws should be pointing outside of the scope itself... you then put the eyepiece into the end and secure it with the thumbscrews.

You then rack the focus tube in and out (should be wheels on either side to turn and make it move in and out... there can be a screw jnder the focuser tube which if overnight stops the tube from actually moving as this is tightened when using with heavy eyepieces to stop them sliding out of focus) to find the focus point.

Apologies if this is teaching you how to suck eggs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I tried the left one and attach the middle one on it, but the left one is too small. I did however manage to get the right one on there and attach the 28mm on that. I will try it out tonight (if the sky lets me) and post an update!

IMG_1582.jpg

OK so that all looks OK.

You will need to twist the silver coloured wheels to the side of the focuser to move it in and out...

There will be a small sweet spot for focus... start by just locating the moon... it should be obvious when you have it even if out of focus as it will be bright. Then turn those wheels so the focuser moves outwards and the bright moon should get smaller as it comes to focus.

If you cannot achieve focus come back here.

• Like 1

I suggest using that 28mm as you have it fitted now to try and view something during daylight - a distant chimney pot for example. Doing it in daylight removes one major obstacle :) 

it's also easier to align the finderscope during the day.

Some photos of my 28mm lens in use

PXL_20220920_152654831.jpg

PXL_20220920_152351729.jpg

PXL_20220920_152342149.jpg

• Like 1