Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What main camera ??

ninjageezer

In the market to replace my Astro modified canon 60D .

i would like the camera to work well in my 2 current scopes if at all possible,WO Z73 and my recent purchase of a Edgehd 8 .

i have the Field flattener on the Z73 and i have the .7 reducer for the Edge. i have also got a loadstar X2 for the OAG guiding with the edge ,i also need to get an OAG and possibly a filter drawer.

i have been so far impressed with the ASI 533 pro  and the ASI 2600 pro.aslo watching the player one upcoming releases in the next week or so.i have heard good things about these ,i was told they are a breakaway group who used to be with ZWO.....

open to any  suggestions,

2 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

i would like the camera to work well in my 2 current scopes if at all possible,WO Z73 and my recent purchase of a Edgehd 8 .

i have the Field flattener on the Z73 and i have the .7 reducer for the Edge. i have also got a loadstar X2 for the OAG guiding with the edge ,i also need to get an OAG and possibly a filter drawer.

i have been so far impressed with the ASI 533 pro  and the ASI 2600 pro.aslo watching the player one upcoming releases in the next week or so.i have heard good things about these ,i was told they are a breakaway group who used to be with ZWO.....

i have a QHY8L TEC Cooled  ccd for sale. very good camera retailing bramd new around 1000 gbp ill sell for 450 plus 20 pnp check out any of my images to date to see its capabilities.

3 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

Either of those 2 options would be a good match to the z73. You'll be signficantly oversampled with the SCT, but that's pretty much unavoidable with a long focal length and modern small pixel CMOS cameras. Plus, you can fix that with binning in post processing.

Out of the 2, I'd go for the 2600 (or equivalent from other manufacturers), just because I have a 4/3 sensor, and fairly regularly find myself wanting just a bit wider FOV.

The decider might be whether you're  planning to go OSC or mono - the 533 would allow 1.25" filters, the 2600 would need larger filters and would work out significantly more expensive. If OSC, then the price difference is not as large. 

• Like 1

I have both the 533 and 2600 and have had great results with both on my ZS73.  I stopped using my C8 when I bought the Altair 150edf but I've had some very good results on that scope too.  I don't use the 533 as much nowadays - I find the square format a bit limiting when I want to frame up some of the bigger nebulae or even andromeda.

One thing I will say - using the 2600 with the ZS73 and the reducer (not flattener) I've had to move the sensor a bit further away than the recommended 56.8mm to avoid eggy stars at the corners (the non-reducing flattener has been fine).

Graeme

• Like 1