Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The future is looking too bright..... unfortunately 😔

nephilim

I fear there will come a time in the not so distant future that we amateur astrophotographers will only be able to benefit from solar AP if  monstrosities such as this proposed eyesore are anything to go by. https://www.newscientist.com/article/2337336-huge-satellite-could-outshine-all-stars-and-planets-in-the-night-sky/

Edited by nephilim
Grammer
  • Sad 1

• nephilim changed the title to The future is looking too bright..... unfortunately 😔

Just another drop in the ocean i would say. People are not complaining about glow from Jupiter ruining their exposures, so why worry about this?

People are overreacting to the whole satellite thing in terms of how much it effects (amateur at least) astrophotography. There could be 10 satellites on every subexposure you take and they still get clipped out just fine in the end!

Bringing easier to access internet to the world is an overwhelmingly net positive thing in the grand scheme of things anyway, so i say go for it and build the giant eysore.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Just another drop in the ocean i would say. People are not complaining about glow from Jupiter ruining their exposures, so why worry about this?

People are overreacting to the whole satellite thing in terms of how much it effects (amateur at least) astrophotography. There could be 10 satellites on every subexposure you take and they still get clipped out just fine in the end!

Bringing easier to access internet to the world is an overwhelmingly net positive thing in the grand scheme of things anyway, so i say go for it and build the giant eysore.

I dont think you can really compare a bright artificial light moving across the sky to Jupiter (which, compared to a satellite is pretty much seemingly stationary) .
I'm also quite sure that the majority of visual astronomers wont be very impressed by a bright light flying across their fov when trying to observe some faint object.
These may not be a massive issue right now but in 50 years or so they will become more than just 'a drop in the ocean'.

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 2

In trying to think about the future, we need to remember the reason for the satellite(s).
They may bring communication to the many, at the expense of the view of the few.
Perhaps thinking about ground level light pollution will help fill the picture?

In the last 50 years I have seen increasing pollution in UK skies. From various causes.
Urban sprawl. Increasing road lighting. Increasing home, commercial and industrial lighting.
Individually many have lamented and appealed, with little result.
Basically, the masses feel the need for 24/7 daylight and a few (odd?) people want to look at the sky or think about the effects on nature.
The only respite ihas been the forward looking councils dimming or turning off some lighting.
Maybe the current energy proce rises will encourage a re-think?

Recently we have seen dark sky reserves being established, rather like wildlife reserves.
This gives a few people access to the wonders of nature.
Yes you need transport to go to tese places, which precludes nature and astronomy for all.

So nature and astronomy are becoming something you can only experience first hand if you have a large wallet.
A phone or internet service away from urban centres will become something you can only experience if you have a large wallet.

I leave it to oters to think about whether it is a good thing.

David.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1