Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 5000 Series Plossls

I recently acquired a couple of these eyepieces - a 32mm 2" and 14mm 1.25". I have been very pleasantly surprised by the nice views they provide, given they are relatively cheap - so much so, in fact, I'm thinking of acquiring a few more, specifically the 20mm , 9mm and 5.5mm. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience of them they'd like to share, particularly the 9.7 & 5.5mm in respect of eye relief.

I have the 32mm, 20mm, 14mm and 5.5mm bought as a set from FLO. They are excellent eyepieces with very good eye relief as you have no doubt found.

Of the four I have, the 5.5mm is the only one that I found difficult to use. Not sure if I have the terminology right but it was the small size of the exit pupil that was the problem rather than the eye relief.

HTH

Mike

I have the 32mm, 20mm, 14mm and 5.5mm bought as a set from FLO. They are excellent eyepieces with very good eye relief as you have no doubt found.

Of the four I have, the 5.5mm is the only one that I found difficult to use. Not sure if I have the terminology right but it was the small size of the exit pupil that was the problem rather than the eye relief.

HTH

Mike

Thanks Mike. You've confirmed what I thought. The exit pupil on the 5.5mm can't be worse than the 4000 series 6.4mm I have which is very tight. The eyelense on the 5000 series is bigger than than the 4000 series, so should be better. It's the lack of eye relief that really bugs me. I found this review of the 5.5mm Astromart Reviews - Meade 5000 Series 5.5mm Plossl

Archived