Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for Recommendation

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if someone could help me identify the right pair of binoculars. I'm a fairly experienced telescope user, but I could really do with a pair of smallish, light binos that will travel everywhere with me, don't require a tripod, and are most suited to dark conditions. I guess 10 x 50's are about right (?) I'm looking then for the best quality make I can get for up to about £150. Suggestions please.

Nightjar

Why not have a look on Flo's site first Nightjar. Click on the Logo at the top of the page. If you find anything that might grab your attention, give Steve a ring, he will gladly discuss the merits with you.

You could possibly qualify for a little discount too. Worth a shot.:)]

Ron.:)

Sky at Night magazine did a review on 10x50s towards the end of last year. Their winner was the Strathspey Marine which are around £86. The runner up was the Pentax XCF at around £78. I went for the Pentax in the end because they are lighter. They have given me some excellent views over the last 2 or 3 months and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They've got a very solid feel (without being too heavy to hold without a tripod for extended periods) and a good rubberised protective outer. Focusser is positive and accurate. The only niggle is the difficulty of removing the objective lens caps (I've drilled small holes in them, which has made a slight imrpovement.) I appreciate that these are around half your target budget, but just think what you could do with the money you've saved!

If you look at Philsail's excellent review of the Opticron's I would be tempted by those. I know that they are 8x40's,but they would be easier to hold steady and give a wider FOV.If you shake a little with the 10x50's you will loose around a magnitude anyway.

I have both 8x42's and 10x50's,just depends on the caffeine intake that day :-)

Good luck with the choice. Please let us know what you decide.

Glen.

Archived