Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Berlebach Mini for viewing?

Has anyone experience with using a berlebach Mini with a reflector? They are much cheaper than the larger versions. 

I have a heritage 150p reflector and need a very portable tripod (traveling by motorbike). Since I use a short camping chair when viewing I was thinking the berlebach could be perfect.

Additional info:

The weight of my scope + mount + eyepiece would be roughly 6.5kgs

Edited by jamesc96

11 minutes ago, Elp said:

The mini is tiny, you couldn't mount that telescope onto it and practically use it. Bare minimum you'd need a report. The uni and planet would be better.

In what way wouldn't it work? I really have to emphasize the size of my chair, it's about 20cm from the ground.

Edit: nevermind, just seeing your other reply now

Edited by jamesc96

To give you an idea I use a 2-3ft carbon fibre tripod (collapses down to size of forearm) with my Z61 AP setup which is around 6kg payload, it is the right height to sit on a small camping chair and view too but not if the scope is pointing fairly high up. It holds the 130pds "okay" but due to the larger berth of that scope it is prone to wobbling especially if there's a slight wind.

You might be alright with it, at least for low power viewing. Probably be a lot of image wobble when using higher powers.

I’d measure from the base of the AZ5 to the eyepiece with the scope at 45deg, and add 36cm to that. Compare that overall height with how high you’re eye is when sat on your stool.

You could try it, I went through exactly the same exercise you are right now and from what I read the mini is only suitable for camera use, they're small because they're for macro photography or low level nature photography. The small tripod I ended up using was a Leofoto 253 I already had from previous research, for larger equipment I got the Uni 4, it's considerable cost but it's very sturdy (not really compact though).

1 minute ago, Elp said:

You could try it, I went through exactly the same exercise you are right now and from what I read the mini is only suitable for camera use, they're small because they're for macro photography or low level nature photography. The small tripod I ended up using was a Leofoto 253 I already had from previous research, for larger equipment I got the Uni 4, it's considerable cost but it's very sturdy (not really compact though).

I tried a skywatcher steel tripod today at my local store but it was way too big to load on the bike. So the small tripods are my only option. I'll have a look at the leofoto now. I've been looking at manfrottos too since everyone recommends them but I'm not sure if I'll gain much more stability over my own cheap camera tripod.

My original (simplistic) thinking about the berlebach was that wood = stable/no vibration but I guess there's more factors to consider than just that.

28 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

You might be alright with it, at least for low power viewing. Probably be a lot of image wobble when using higher powers.

I’d measure from the base of the AZ5 to the eyepiece with the scope at 45deg, and add 36cm to that. Compare that overall height with how high you’re eye is when sat on your stool.

Im very keen on observation at both high and low power so maybe I will give the mini a miss.

You could consider cutting down the legs of one of the skywatcher steel tripods, get it nice and short for travel on the motorbike and would be nice and sturdy for observing.

I have a cut down AZ3 aluminium tripod that I use for holiday travel  (fits into a carry on case) used with my AZ4 and Heritage 130p tube. 

The issue you'll have is the scope kind of widens the centre of gravity, keeping the tripod short will help a bit. If it were a short FL refractor you'd have less of an issue. The wood still vibrates but it dampens quickly. Thick legs and less number of extensions on a tripod help reduce vibration.

24 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

You could consider cutting down the legs of one of the skywatcher steel tripods, get it nice and short for travel on the motorbike and would be nice and sturdy for observing.

I have a cut down AZ3 aluminium tripod that I use for holiday travel  (fits into a carry on case) used with my AZ4 and Heritage 130p tube. 

This is a good idea. The steel tripod would still be no good though since its width is also a problem for me. How have you found the AZ3 tripod? It seems to get a lot of stick here but looks like it could pack down quite flat.

16 hours ago, jamesc96 said:

This is a good idea. The steel tripod would still be no good though since its width is also a problem for me. How have you found the AZ3 tripod? It seems to get a lot of stick here but looks like it could pack down quite flat.

Here is my 130p on the cut down AZ3 tripod. It’s surprisingly sturdy with the legs retracted, but could only be used sitting. With the legs extended I can get away with standing observing but not for long periods as I have to stoop, it’s also more wobbly at the eyepiece with legs extended.

I don’t really use high powers (I stick to under 110x) with this set up as I only really use it when travelling to darker skies, and so I tend to stick to the DSO objects I can’t see from home. Lunar and planets I can observe fine from home so I don’t bother looking at them when I’m away. 

A76ABFA2-A034-490D-9DA3-EA85207BD330.jpeg

123E4CF3-E4B8-4955-9722-234D4B917812.jpeg

Edited by CraigT82

On 05/08/2022 at 12:49, CraigT82 said:

Here is my 130p on the cut down AZ3 tripod. It’s surprisingly sturdy with the legs retracted, but could only be used sitting. With the legs extended I can get away with standing observing but not for long periods as I have to stoop, it’s also more wobbly at the eyepiece with legs extended.

I don’t really use high powers (I stick to under 110x) with this set up as I only really use it when travelling to darker skies, and so I tend to stick to the DSO objects I can’t see from home. Lunar and planets I can observe fine from home so I don’t bother looking at them when I’m away. 

A76ABFA2-A034-490D-9DA3-EA85207BD330.jpeg

123E4CF3-E4B8-4955-9722-234D4B917812.jpeg

That tripod looks very aesthetic when cut down! Do you think it would be able to deal with higher magnification at all?

I am not very fussy. I know 3+ seconds to steady is generally considered poor, but my current photo tripod takes infinity seconds when the winds pick up even a little.

I've accepted portability is more hassle than it's worth. I've just bought the skywatcher steel tripod. I might cut down the legs at some point but not for a while. All the portable tripods suggested arent much narrower than it and that was my main gripe.

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll definitely keep them in mind if I ever get a lighter scope.