SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bushnell 11x60 binoculars .

Hello all 

I think it's time to end this thread as it seems that no one has information on this model,  which makes me wonder if they were just some one  using the Bushnell name on a pair of binoculars. 

Time to move on and look for something else.

Trevor 

Bit of an odd spec really, never seen it before, plenty of 11x80s about though. For astro an 11x60 will give a little more light grasp than a regular 10x50 and an exit pupil of about 5.5mm so would be better for older eyes. Anything over x10 becomes difficult to handhold and should be tripod mounted, in fact for me, anything over x8 is difficult to handhold. Years ago I had a pair of 12x60s and I didn't keep them long, too heavy and too powerful. 7x50s have historically been the recommended size for astro because they give a 7mm exit pupil and at x7 are easy to handhold but as you get older the dark adapted pupil will only dilate to around 5mm so I now use a pair of 8x42 roofs which are much lighter and can be handheld for some time.

Hello Franklin

As always many thanks for responding.

There was a large thread on Cloudy Nights, about whether 10x50s were better than 10x70s and the merritt's or not of larger exit pupil's for most people.

This resulted in the view that most people would not see a huge difference. This then turned in to a discussion on going to 15x70s.

For me I think I will stick with my 10x50s and maybe wait until I can try some 15x70s side by side on a good night to see if it is worth the upgrade, or as you suggest 7x50s would be the way to go.

I do plan to use them on a tripod, so will be interested on people's views on what's best for deep sky for a grab and go option, as I have a reflector and refractor, for planets, moon, and solar observations.

As always many thanks for your assistance.

Trevor 

If the ones you are/were looking are these

image.png.33b3e19cf72cd3b40c960cb4a9a9dbe1.png

then do be aware that the quick-focus type (that paddle/lever on the hinge) might be more a curse than a blessing for you. As you press your eyes into the eyepiece cups you'll likely find focus changes and you'll be fiddling with the flappy paddle trying to find infinity/sharp stars as you pan around the skies.

Bushnell made their name by importing Japanese made binoculars and selling them, at least in the beginning and so likely they were all badge-engineered or custom made to a spec Bushnell provided in much the way many scopes are largely made by one of two far east companies. Same with a lot of stuff we pay premium price for the brand name are in fact 😉 

Personally I prefer the ZCF type with a focus wheel tho others prefer IF types (each eyepiece dioptre adjusts independently) since you're never refocusing if they are soley for astro use.

Edited by DaveL59

Hello Dave 

As always many thanks for responding.

Yes they do look like the ones, I did notice the focus adjustment and because of this have decided not to buy.

When reading about binoculars when looking for a thread on the Bushnell,  I have decided to stick with the 10x50s for now.

The subject of what is the best size for astronomy seems to throw up allot of differing views on what's best,  depending on exit pupil size.

As always many thanks for your assistance.

Trevor