NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Many questions

I am so new to this that it is scary. I have seen mentioned a X2 barlow. What is this and is it necessary to have one? Also Can someone explain to me why it is really necessary to move away from "light pollution".

Aren't telescopes focused waaaay past earthly lights?

BTW I own a Zhumell Eclipse 114 with 6mm and 20 mm Kellner Eyepieces.

How's that for a setup to begin with?

I have not had clear skies for several days now so I am anxious to get out and watch something. Saturn maybe?

Hi,

To answer your questions:

A barlow lens is an additional lens that you put in between your eyepiece and your scope and it has the effect of multiplying the magnifciation that your eyepiece gives you - usually by 2x or 3x. It's useful because it effectively doubles the number of eyepieces you have.

Light pollution has the effect of lightening the sky (ie: it's not as black as it would be with no lights) so the faint astro objects are drowned out, even though they are way beyond out atmosphere. That said, most of us cope with some light pollution and there are filters which can help a bit. It's nice to observie under truly dark skies occasionally as well though - you can see what your scope can really do then.

Your scope and eyepieces are fine as a starter set - you can see quite a lot with them - try getting a good book like "Turn Left at Orion" to show you how to find things.

John.

Hi. Rob. Worry ye not about being a newbie, ask as many questions as you like.

A Barlow lens, is a negative lens, which when placed in the telescopes focuser, will double the focal length of the scope.

That's if it is a x2 Barlow. You can get x3 ones too.

Doubling the scopes focal length simply means that any eyepiece you insert into the Barlow when you have it the focuser, will double the eyepieces magnification. So, If you have a scope with a focal length of 100 inches, and you put in a 1 inch focal length eyepiece, the resulting magnification will be 100 times. With 2x Barlow in too, the same eyepiece will magnify 200 times. For a x3 Barlow, apply the same math.

Light pollution is the bane of an astronomers life. Especially if he is an astrophotographer. The extraneous light will probably ruin any long exposure image of a deep sky object he has imaged.

There are filters that can nullify Light pollution, but by far the best solution, is to move the telescope to a dark site if that is possible.

Your telescope has a 4.5" objective, probably a mirror. It is not very large, and therefore will not collect a lot of light. so it will not be suitable for deep sky objects like faint galaxies or nebula.

It will show the Moon to good effect, and the bright planets like Saturn Jupiter, Venus. Although the images will not be very big.

However, it is a telescope, and you will get some decent views from it.

I hope this has helped a little.

Ron.:)

Your scope probably has a focal length of 900mm, so your 6mm eyepiece will give you a magnification of 150, which is about as much as you can get out of a 4.5" mirror. That's experience talking, not theoretical optics, as I've owned 2 114mm scopes. 150 is a good and useful magnification, and you can do a lot of observing at lower mags.

Kellners are decent eps, a little restricted in FOV, but still giving a good view.

Light pollution will affect the magnitudes you can see, and reduce the number of faint objects you can acquire. You can certainly have a good time with Saturn, Jupiter, Venus and the Moon. Have a look for the Orion Nebula, too, and clusters such as the Beehive (M44) When you get to a dark sky, you will not believe the difference it makes. It has to be seen to be appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies. The skies are becoming clearer bit by bit even though not literally. Another cloudy sky with lots of rain in the forecast:clouds1:. I guess I have to wait. I ordered "turn left at Orion" and I should have it by next week. I am sure more questions will come.

Archived