NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there any point getting an Canon EOS 1100D in the current day?

39 minutes ago, Cakedestroyer said:

They also don't believe that the photo on the right can look pretty close to the hubble one on the left while being taken by a person in their backyard

I agree with your parents! 🙂 Some images presented look to me like something (reference to Jupiter) that I was accustomed to viewing from Mt Palomars 200 inch during the '60's! Maybe some basic images are simply VERY heavily photoshopped??

Perhaps the answer lies within future experiments with the Canon camera connected to a Meade LX200 10" SCT using eyepiece projection... Time will tell 🙂

1 minute ago, SthBohemia said:

I agree with your parents! 🙂 Some images presented look to me like something (reference to Jupiter) that I was accustomed to viewing from Mt Palomars 200 inch during the '60's! Maybe some basic images are simply VERY heavily photoshopped??

Perhaps the answer lies within future experiments with the Canon camera connected to a Meade LX200 10" SCT using eyepiece projection... Time will tell 🙂

That eagle nebula one was taken using a pretty fancy telescope by someone who knows a lot more to me lol.

1 hour ago, Cakedestroyer said:

Just showed my parents these photos and they don't believe that you could do this without a telescope haha!
image.thumb.png.0b8e825038f0ce939a75b99deb46bd88.png

They also don't believe that the photo on the right can look pretty close to the hubble one on the left while being taken by a person in their backyard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QcJaD9klDc)

The link to the photographer's video shows someone who knows what they're doing but he does make a serious error in saying that his focal reducer will give him a 'magical increase in light gathering power.' It will, in reality, give him no increase in light gathering power whatever. How can it? It lies at the back of the telescope and the light is gathered at the front. What it will do is reduce the size of the image of the Pillars of Creation projected onto his chip, so the original amount of light falls on fewer pixels, each getting more light as a consequence. The reducer gives a smaller, brighter image which is only brighter because it is smaller. The idea that focal reducers increase light gathering power has been done to death under the heading of 'The F Ratio Myth.'  Sorry to bring it up again but this is a beginner part of the forum.

Olly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The link to the photographer's video shows someone who knows what they're doing but he does make a serious error in saying that his focal reducer will give him a 'magical increase in light gathering power.' It will, in reality, give him no increase in light gathering power whatever. How can it? It lies at the back of the telescope and the light is gathered at the front. What it will do is reduce the size of the image of the Pillars of Creation projected onto his chip, so the original amount of light falls on fewer pixels, each getting more light as a consequence. The reducer gives a smaller, brighter image which is only brighter because it is smaller. The idea that focal reducers increase light gathering power has been done to death under the heading of 'The F Ratio Myth.'  Sorry to bring it up again but this is a beginner part of the forum.

Olly

You learn something new every day! As a novice I guess I just skipped over that part but good to know!

55 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You could use astrometry.net to plate solve your image and see what part of the sky you captured. Stellarium is a great planetarium too.

Wow astrometry is so cool!

Thanks for the tip!!

6699454.thumb.jpeg.94593e76ec09541a3c991340c197cf6e.jpeg

Edited by Cakedestroyer
  • Like 1

My first astro camera was a modded 1000D, bought secondhand. Maybe 2008/9? I still use it.
Fairly soon I realised the different settings for normal vs astro use meant a lot of effort, so I bought another for day use.

In the UK there are companies offering to modify your camera, or supply a ready modded camera.
Maybe there is someone in NZ offering this service?

5 hours ago, Cakedestroyer said:

That top photo (of the Andromeda galaxy?) on the 700D is stunning. If I can get to anything like that I will be very pleased!!

Does that mean that I could take photos like your first one from the first reply if I just used a longer exposure? What kind of total exposure did you use?

Thanks again!!

I used a second-hand Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount for tracking and stacked a few hundred 60s exposures. I use APT to control the camera

4 hours ago, Cakedestroyer said:

Uh oh I didn't see that. Thanks for the advice!!!

Something I didn't see earlier, you live within NZ 🙂 Congratulations, Bortle 1 skies! I  lived within the mountains in Oz until 4 years ago with skies like yours, now within Europe with constant rain, clouds, even more rain and clouds, summer daze 22 hours long with extra clouds and a winter resembling the inside of a freezer 😞

Best of luck to you (I'm jealous)...

Cheers Rob.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SthBohemia said:

Something I didn't see earlier, you live within NZ 🙂 Congratulations, Bortle 1 skies! I  lived within the mountains in Oz until 4 years ago with skies like yours, now within Europe with constant rain, clouds, even more rain and clouds, summer daze 22 hours long with extra clouds and a winter resembling the inside of a freezer 😞

Best of luck to you (I'm jealous)...

Cheers Rob.

Yeah we are pretty lucky over here! I think my home is Bortle 4 but you don't have to go far too get away from it.

Best of luck to you too!

• Like 1