Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar Alignment

Now, I think I've got this right, but let's just be sure....

To polar align my EQ mount (which doesn't have a polar scope...), I can put my scope on it, tilt the scope up so it's little wheel thing is at 90 degrees (pointing exactly teh same way as the mount), and getting Polaris right in the middle. I know this doesn't take into account the fact that Polaris isn't EXACTLY the celestial pole, but it should be good enough for observing and such? Can you get a polar scope "filter" type thing (I.E. one that has the big dipper and Cass etched on it..) for a regular EP? Would that work? If not, why not?

-eli

For visual observing aligning the scope along the polar axis so that polaris is visible through the telescope is good enough.

If you want to be a bit more accurate the of set for the NCP is 1/2 deg in the direction of Kockab (Beta UMi). If you have an EP which gives that FOV you can be a little more accurate.

A "filter" EP in the scope would work, except the FOV of the scope is too small compare with that of a polar scope which is even wide than a finderscope. The EP would have to just show a few stars around Polaris.

Mike

Archived