Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Operating Remotely and safe transportation

Hi there

I'm revisiting my aim to enjoy this hobby having wanted to get started for a while now. 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or experience doing astrophotography in remote areas without access to mains electricity. How do people power their setups from remote location. 

On another note I hope to spend a period of time travelling next year with my equipment in a camper van. Is transporting equipment is some heavy duty foam laces cases sufficient? 

Thanks

So I've got an iOptron CEM70 mount, a ZWO astro camera with a cooler, and a Raspberry Pi to run the rig. I found a good 20 Ah LiFePO4 battery, which is enough to run the whole thing for a couple nights on a charge. A larger one, of course, would extend that time significantly. I also have a 5m or so cable with a cigarette-lighter plug which I can screw onto the terminals of the battery to supplement with the car's electricity.

As for transport, my 70mm Stellarvue came with a nice case; I also cut out  some 10cm upholstery foam to cradle it in a storage bin, which can also carry camera, wheel, cables, etc.

For the 8" RC, I bought a wheeled weather-resistant toolbox, and just laid a doubled-over 2cm sheet of foam in it for now. Plenty of room in there too for bits and bobs, of course.

I regularly travel a few hundred kilometres into the Saudi desert. Essential to pack everything securely in foam or bubble wrap and secure. I've hit a sand berm at 50 more than once and it's like the entire car has entered an anti gravity zone

For power I have an 8kg 40Ah 12v AGM battery. Reliable, much cheaper than Lifepo and works all night

Photo from the Dakar back in 2021

img_2_1637658163356.jpg.3d331f4cfb0d97c452c67e4495927e3a.jpg

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I regularly travel a few hundred kilometres into the Saudi desert. Essential to pack everything securely in foam or bubble wrap and secure. I've hit a sand berm at 50 more than once and it's like the entire car has entered an anti gravity zone

img_2_1637658163356.jpg.3d331f4cfb0d97c452c67e4495927e3a.jpg

Well I think you've won this one!!!

Heroic.

😁lly

• Like 1