SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M57, the Ring

fireballxl5

M57, the Ring Nebula, many observer's favourite Planetary? Captured on Wed 1st June after M16 had gone from view.

48x120s using the RC6/ASI533MCP with IDAS D2 LPF.

Processed in PI, with close-up shown. 

CS, Andy

M57-RC6-ASI533MCP-IDASd2-RST135E-48x120s_20220601-crop.png

Edited by fireballxl5
Typo
  • Like 8

I think that you maybe made target too bright.

If you push curves that much, fine detail starts to be lost (like over exposed image).

It is very delicate object, maybe try to make it a bit more "airy" and not as "glowing"

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I think that you maybe made target too bright.

Spot on @vlaiv, maybe I was a little over zealous using the GHS script after watching the YouTube tutorial 🙃 but I wanted focus on the nebula to distract from the poor stars. Also, I'm a sucker for strong colours.

I've spent some time this afternoon optimising my scope configuration including install of motorised focuser and checked/adjusted the backspace from the flattener so will try harder for a more realistic look next time🙂 

Thanks for the feedback👍

29 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Spot on @vlaiv, maybe I was a little over zealous using the GHS script after watching the YouTube tutorial 🙃 but I wanted focus on the nebula to distract from the poor stars. Also, I'm a sucker for strong colours.

I've spent some time this afternoon optimising my scope configuration including install of motorised focuser and checked/adjusted the backspace from the flattener so will try harder for a more realistic look next time🙂 

Thanks for the feedback👍

If you struggle with the stars - do give StarNet v2 a go. I think it will be useful for this image.

I tried it when I processed Crescent nebula imaged by Rodd and it works a treat.

7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

do give StarNet v2 a go. I think it will be useful for this image.

I used Starnet2 to extract the nebula and StarXterminator for the stars - I've found that StarNet2 can give pixelated/poor stars,  at least when working with binned data. On your advice I've started not to bin my subs and so this may no longer be necessary. 

As is commonly known,  separating allows me to more easily control and de-emphasise the stars. Hopefully when my star shapes are sorted I can ease off the heavy processing.