Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

setting up EQ3-2

I'm preparing my rig for the very first night session today but there are a few things I'm not quite sure about in terms of my mount - it's a EQ3-2

First one is the stiffness in RA axis which makes it very difficult to balance the scope. I tried to follow steps from this topic and loosen the aluminium ring behind the RA setting circle but I couldn't even unscrew those three grub screws which hold the ring in place. It felt like the screws are not there or maybe I just used wrong hex keys (I used two different sizes but non of them worked). Any suggestions how to make it smoother? 

The second issue I've got is the RA setting circle itself. When I turn the RA axis, the RA setting circle doesn't usually follow it. Sometimes it does but sometimes it stops in random places which makes using it useless. I don't tighten the thumb screw but even if I do, it gives the same result 

Is it still doable to polar align the mount without a polar scope?  

Here's a couple of videos I made of the mount to highlight the issues

Thanks!

Edited by honest

2 hours ago, honest said:

s it still doable to polar align the mount without a polar scope?  

I use Sharp Cap Pro, it makes it so easy! no bending down to look through the polar scope. You would need the pro version, a subscription of £12 a year. 
https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/features/polar-alignment

I have the EQ 3-2 , but have never had any problems with the RA axis, will take a look at what the RA setting circle is doing on mine, I never use it.

Have you got the other parts that hold the other ring and a polar scope.

1238892019_EQ3-2-1.thumb.png.bc88aa158557c8ce73a0a0192ea0de3f.png

Edited by Laurieast

Thanks Laurieast, I'll defo check this software!

Yes I do have the remaining parts, just forgot to put it all together before recording.
Your setting circles look solid, mine RA setting circle is kinda loose and wobbly even with the highlighted screw locked. And there is a quite substantial gap between RA setting circle and date circle 

IMG_20220608_163713.jpg

Edited by honest

I have the EQ5 pro and I only use the setting circles for parking the mount in the home position. Did it once and marked the mount with a permanent marker showing the position. I haven’t used them since. Cheers 

Thanks again for your help guys

I had a very successful session last night, the Moon looked absolutely stunning!
Once an object was in the center of my field of view, it was surprisingly easy to follow it on the night sky - I guess I got the polar alignment right without a polar scope :) 
The RA axis was still a bit too stiff comparing to Dec axis but didn't really cause any issues. And I didn't even use the RA setting circle so that wasn't an issue either

IMG_20220608_232146.jpg

Edited by honest

20 hours ago, Laurieast said:

1238892019_EQ3-2-1.thumb.png.bc88aa158557c8ce73a0a0192ea0de3f.png

To get to the grub screws, unscrew the silver thumbscrew mark here with unlock this one turn, pop your allen key through that hole and turn the axis, you'll feel the holes

There's a full strip-down here which will help if you still want to adjust it. Unfortunately due to the lack of actual bearings it's not the easiest mount to get running smoothly

• Thanks 2