Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Choosing a refractor

Im choosing an easy refractor for astrphotography.

I have couple choice at about the same price range

1. Meade Series 5000 ED80

2. Astro-tech 80EDT (Triplet)

3. Vixen 81SWT

4. William Optics ED80

Which is the best in terms of price and quality??

or u have any other suggestion, please advise.

Thanks

What are you planning to mount it on ? The considered minimum for long exposure is an HEQ5, but, I can't remember who, is getting good results from an EQ5. Really you need to be thinking in terms of which mount to get to put the scope on. You're going to struggle to get good results with the worlds best scope if it's not mounted sturdily enough, it can be done, but you have to work a lot harder for it. Then see what remains of your budget and buy from there. The optics on the Skywatcher ED80 are considered to be very good, I have the Celestron 80ED and the optics are the same, and that's very good, and reasonably priced too.

ok... I don't know that one, I'm sure it is :). They are much cheaper offerings, but as you have a decent mount already, go for the best your budget will allow. I'm going to duck out now as I only know anything about the C80ED...

Archived