SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI294 drivers

Just reinstalled APT and can't for the life of me remember if I was using ZWO driver or ASCOM driver for my camera. Which is the best choice? 

I am also gonna rebuild my darks library, Is 120 gain still the best allrounder choice for this camera for most situations?

Does the ZWO driver set the gain/offset in APT like the ASCOM driver does? 

3 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Just reinstalled APT and can't for the life of me remember if I was using ZWO driver or ASCOM driver for my camera. Which is the best choice? 

I am also gonna rebuild my darks library, Is 120 gain still the best allrounder choice for this camera for most situations?

Does the ZWO driver set the gain/offset in APT like the ASCOM driver does? 

No I would not use 120 gain on this camera, it will cause you calibration issues.

There was a recent thread about this that I will try to find for you but essentially the camera has a none linear responce below ~190 gain and it causes problems, it also saturates at less than full well.

Essentially use gain 200 especially for narrowband, but also for LRGB.

Adam

The ZWO driver seems to have a default offset of 8, where as the ASCOM driver uses 30, but if you're using APT then you can set the offset when you create the imaging plan if you don't want to use the defaults.

As for gain, I find 120 works fine with my ASI294MC Pro, but I only use a UV/IR cut filter (no LP filters), If I'm using a NB, like the L-eXtreme, then (as Adam says above) I set the gain to 200 so the flats work correctly.