SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Filter cleaning

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2022 at 10:59, Anthonyexmouth said:

Got a little fractal kinda smudge on my filter, what's the safest cleaning method? You can see it at the top of the filter just above the light reflection . It's not a finger printIMG_20220512_104935.thumb.jpg.e2a499b0e9f04919e59bfc423906f1b7.jpg

You may not need to, but if you did I would use a rocket blower on it first, then once i was sure that no debris was on the surface that i could end up moving about and causing scratches I would then move to a 100% pure cotton but along side some Baader optical wonder fluid. You then need to keep swapping the cotton but out and repeating until no residue remains. 

Adam 

20 hours ago, Adam J said:

You may not need to, but if you did I would use a rocket blower on it first, then once i was sure that no debris was on the surface that i could end up moving about and causing scratches I would then move to a 100% pure cotton but along side some Baader optical wonder fluid. You then need to keep swapping the cotton but out and repeating until no residue remains. 

Adam 

tried the blower, it's just such an odd pattern. guess it might be where it may have iced up at some point. its not evident in images. My flats do look terrible but not due to that, everything in my optical train looks clean and dust free but got huge shadows in my flats. they calibrate out but i'd love to be able to see where they are coming from.