Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

do I need an eyepiece?

Hello everybody. :mad:

I have got a meade ng60 with two eyepieces 12.4 and 9.7 mm. and yesterday I was watching Saturn but I want to see it bigger, so... what accessory do I need?... maybe an eyepiece smaller than 9.7 mm or a new telescope :S ... please help me, I don't know anything about this, I am just starting.

Thanks!!:)

Welcome to SGL :mad:. If you want to spend money we can help you :)...

In fairness, your scope is a little on the small side but it can still give some good views of brighter objects like the Moon and Saturn. The percieved wisdom is the maximum magnification that a scope can take is the aperture (width) in millimetres doubled so your scope theoretically can take x120 (60mm x2). However, atmospheric conditions will rarely let you have a good view at your maximum.

Magnification is measured by the focal length of the scope divided by the length of the eyepiece. Just googled for your scope and I understand the focal length of your meade is 700mm so if you aim to look at a 7mm eyepiece, that'll give you a view at x100 which should be useable on most nights.

If you was planning to buy a bigger scope, how much would your budget be?

Tony..

Invest in good eyepieces, they will last a lifetime if you look after them and they can be used on other scopes as you upgrade/change.

A 2x Barlow lens will double the magnification of any eyepieces that you have, so these are a good investment too. If using a Barlow, choose eyepieces that will give you different magnifications, but not be too close if using a Barlow. i.e. don't have a 20mm eyepiece and a 10mm eyepiece as the Barlow gives you the latter with the 20mm eyepiece. (I hope that make sense???).

But don't try to get too much magnification, especially with a small scope.

Hi tony.

I finally understand how this works... thank you

well, my telescope is ng70 (not ng60, sorry) so my maximum magnification is x140 and an 5mm eyepiece would give me a 100 % view, but to buy that eyepiece would be a waste for this telescope because the atmospheric conditions like you said. but 5.8 mm gives me x120 and that would be ok. right???

And yes i would like to buy a bigger telescope, and by now i'm willing to spend 600 or 700 dollars. I dont want to spend to much i'm just a beginner.

do you think i could get something good? what do you advise me?

Hi tony.

I finally understand how this works... thank you

well, my telescope is ng70 (not ng60, sorry) so my maximum magnification is x140 and an 5mm eyepiece would give me a 100 % view, but to buy that eyepiece would be a waste for this telescope because the atmospheric conditions like you said. but 5.8 mm gives me x120 and that would be ok. right???

And yes i would like to buy a bigger telescope, and by now i'm willing to spend 600 or 700 dollars. I dont want to spend to much i'm just a beginner.

do you think i could get something good? what do you advise me?

Personally, I'd aim a little lower and look for a 6mm. That should be good for most nights.

Not knowing the American market at all so I can't help you on prices but I would imagine you'll be able to get a half decent sized reflector for that kind of money with maybe a little left over to get a couple of accessories.

Tony..

A good approach is to have an ep the same length as the f/number of your telescope, and a 2x Barlow. In your case, a 10mm ep, and the Barlow for the really good nights. I try to space my ep lengths in 50% increments, so I would have a 10, a 15 and a 24 or 25. With the 2x Barlow, this gives 5, 7.5, 10, 12, 15 and 24. A nice range. You can't always be exact with the 50% increment. My set is 4.3, 7.5, and 24 Also a nice range.

Personally, I'd aim a little lower and look for a 6mm. That should be good for most nights.

Not knowing the American market at all so I can't help you on prices but I would imagine you'll be able to get a half decent sized reflector for that kind of money with maybe a little left over to get a couple of accessories.

Tony..

Ok. you are the expert. then is going to be 6mm.:)

thanks!!

A good approach is to have an ep the same length as the f/number of your telescope, and a 2x Barlow. In your case, a 10mm ep, and the Barlow for the really good nights. I try to space my ep lengths in 50% increments, so I would have a 10, a 15 and a 24 or 25. With the 2x Barlow, this gives 5, 7.5, 10, 12, 15 and 24. A nice range. You can't always be exact with the 50% increment. My set is 4.3, 7.5, and 24 Also a nice range.

that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the advise. I will take it into account. :)

Archived