Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stacking comet images with deep sky stacker

Has anyone tried stacking comet images with deep sky stacker?

I'm using the comet stacking option with images of Comet Lulin but it seems to fail to register the comet images so that the final image is a smear rather than a discreet comet image.

Any suggestions?

Nick, when you use the Comet option in DSS, you have to manually select the comet location on your image frames. With a frame open, put the mouse over it, you should see a 4 or 5 option icon menu on the right of the image, I can't check at the mo, DSS is busy. One of them looks a bit like a comet, click that to select the comet location. This will open up a new window in the stack options, giving 3 choices.

Stack for comet, trailed stars

Stack for stars, trailed comet

Stack for both. This appears to do a double stack and combine the output.

HTH

John

Thanks for the reply.My problem is that I have identified the comet in each frame and selected the dual stack option but it still does not seem to stack the comet images properly.

Nick

P.S. Have you seen the stereo pair I posted. I'm not sure if I posted it right but it seems to be there.

Hmm. not sure on that one, I think maybe DSS is trying to do to much. I wasn't sure about my combined stack either.

I did, I commented on it, I rather like it, and I'm looking up the software now.

Archived