Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 Extension Challenge

M40

Thought it would be worth posting this as I have found a small design flaw in what is otherwise an excellent product.

These are the top components of the HEQ5 extension. Note where the azimuth adjustments hit the North peg.

1044274450_topcomponents.jpg.9c02df0d7a1fc0bc83f0d246c068057c.jpg

I found the North peg to be loose on a couple of occasions so I just tightened it up but then realised that the thread inside the North peg had stripped.

474472076_northpegthread.jpg.3864169bb73407a89d5bf9f26ec7b98b.jpg

A close look shows that the North peg retaining screw only goes into the peg a short way into the peg and not the full available length. Combine this with where the azimuth bolts hit the peg and it was always going to happen. 

The solution is relatively simple and I suggest that it's carried out before the thread strips. 

underside.jpg.1de2951d9b698df935b8183a28e3082d.jpg

Simply get a longer M5 machine screw together with a couple of M5 washers. The above picture shows there is plenty of room for maneuver so there is option for either the screw with washers to go inside the hole or alternatively a much longer screw with nut and washer outside of the hole (my choice). The peg retaining screw will then extend the whole distance into the peg and not just the first few millimeters.

Hope it helps. 

• Like 2