NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ir uv cut filter positioning

Hi

My zwo ir uv cut filter is placed as shown in the photo attached. Is there a preferred place to have the ir uv cut filter. I do not have any reflection issues with it here. 

It's a 2 inch zwo ir uv cut filter 

My set up is sw 72ed - sw rotator with filter - ovl FF - spacers-zwo asi294mc pro (with tilt adjuster as suffering with sensor tilt) 

Cheers 

Lee 

IMG_20220419_223537.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

Still waiting my new camera Lee but will be putting my version (optolong L2)  into a T2-1.25 adaptor and slapping it right in front of the sensor.  

My thoughts being I will be able to unthread camera from OTA, remove the L2 filter and put in a narrowband filter before reattaching to OTA without losing focus or only minimal adjustment needed. 

Still learning so much but really feeling the astronomy bug again after losing my way a while back. 

Steve

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Still waiting my new camera Lee but will be putting my version (optolong L2)  into a T2-1.25 adaptor and slapping it right in front of the sensor.  

My thoughts being I will be able to unthread camera from OTA, remove the L2 filter and put in a narrowband filter before reattaching to OTA without losing focus or only minimal adjustment needed. 

Still learning so much but really feeling the astronomy bug again after losing my way a while back. 

Steve

Hopefully your camera arrives soon Steve. I did have the zwo 1.25inch one and did the same as you are going to do by putting it in the adaptor ring and up close to the sensor. I did go for the 2 inch version eventually to cut out the vignetting I got on my 294mc pro and it seemed the rotator was as good a place to fit the filter and seen it done by @StarlightHunter

I'm pleased to hear the astronomy bug has bitten again, I believe we all go through losing mojo for it at some stage. The shorter evenings really get me. 

Lee 

Screenshot_20220421_123227.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

I also started with the 1.25" filter inside the 11mm spacer but I now use the ZWO Filter Drawer which replaces the 21mm spacer and this allows me to use 2" filters. It also means I can change from the UV/IR cut filter to my Askar Duo-Band without removing the camera from the scope. 

The Filter Drawer is placed in front of the 11mm spacer on the front of the camera, so the filter is the last thing the light passes through before it hits the sensor. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

I also started with the 1.25" filter inside the 11mm spacer but I now use the ZWO Filter Drawer which replaces the 21mm spacer and this allows me to use 2" filters. It also means I can change from the UV/IR cut filter to my Askar Duo-Band without removing the camera from the scope. 

The Filter Drawer is placed in front of the 11mm spacer on the front of the camera, so the filter is the last thing the light passes through before it hits the sensor. 

Thank you. I'll save for a filter drawer and add to my shopping list which includes the Astronomik L3. I don't expect my filter is hurting in the rotator atm so time to save the pennies. A question, do you suffer with any light leaking using the filter drawer? 

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee

3 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

How do you find the askar duo Martin?

I was looking at it the other day and put it on my maybe wish list.  Once I have my new camera I intend using an existing astronomik UHC filter to see how that gets along. If things go well it might end up on my birthday list 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hopefully your camera arrives soon Steve. I did have the zwo 1.25inch one and did the same as you are going to do by putting it in the adaptor ring and up close to the sensor. I did go for the 2 inch version eventually to cut out the vignetting I got on my 294mc pro and it seemed the rotator was as good a place to fit the filter and seen it done by @StarlightHunter

I'm pleased to hear the astronomy bug has bitten again, I believe we all go through losing mojo for it at some stage. The shorter evenings really get me. 

Lee 

I am currently looking at spectroscopy as a summer pastime to continue my astronomy exploits.

Incredibly interesting although quite involved but I won't hijack this thread. I hope to start a new one soon once I get things going.

Steve

• Like 1

I love spending other people's money! 🤣

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

A question, do you suffer with any light leaking using the filter drawer?

No light leaks but have a read of THIS POST I made when I first got the Filter Drawer and make sure you get the right holder. Since making that post I bought another spare filter holder (with lips :D ) so I don't have any issues.

25 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

How do you find the askar duo Martin?

I was looking at it the other day and put it on my maybe wish list.  Once I have my new camera I intend using an existing astronomik UHC filter to see how that gets along. If things go well it might end up on my birthday list 😄

I have the 1.25" version of the L-eXtreme which I started using with my ASI294 MC and that is good. The Askar Duo-Band (like the L2) I got during a FLO sale and it was the 2" version, which is why I went for it.

I've used it a few time now and it works well, although I haven't done a direct comparison on a target which I've imaged with the L-eXtreme. I would say that, if you can't quite stretch to the L-eXtreme, the Askar is a good alternative.

Here's the last two images I've done with the Askar filter:

348010463_IC1805-HeartNebula-26032022-3h32m-NB.png.ebeb385abc636a36fffc5ed10cfb2fd1.png

1645151716_NGC2244-RosetteNebula-3h4m-NB.png.71e38b6726cc1ec8208a81abb286bd2b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

I love spending other people's money! 🤣

3 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

A question, do you suffer with any light leaking using the filter drawer?

No light leaks but have a read of THIS POST I made when I first got the Filter Drawer and make sure you get the right holder. Since making that post I bought another spare filter holder (with lips :D ) so I don't have any issues

I haven't spent it yet haha 😁, will be a while yet, would like to get the L3 first as that's more a priority. Thank you I'll give the post a read up 👍. Just read it and when I do order it I'll order the one from FLO and if ever needed use some black tape and elastic band, I wouldn't change the filter out at all, I can't afford more haha 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1