Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ3-2 and my old Synscan from my EQ-6 old upgraded type ... read more

Hi all
I have been off Astronomy for a couple of years now and still off it and I am trying to upgrade one of my mounts, a very little used EQ3-2 (new) !

I did read some of the forum posts, but I only need to make work what I have, really, do not wish to get into making a new one, even though I am an electronics technician, I lost my mojo!
🤔

On the mount itself I have nothing, i.e. no polar scope + illuminator (might get them too) and no drive motors.

What I want to do is convert it to a Go-to also using what I have, but I am not sure - especially having been off it for a long time.
😜
My SynScan was updated a few years ago and it is the older type with NO USB, but I also 'made' an adaptor years ago and it now is a USB one and works fine - see images.

All I need to know now, is what I need to make SynScan work with my EQ3-2. Apart from the obvious drive motors?
I guess an interface from SynScan to motors.
Do I have to get the motor kit - maybe the Delux too?
Also, it is worth getting these motors? i.e. are they accurate enough to do a bit of everything, including planets and Deep Sky?

I also have EQ-Mod etc. already installed and all working OK - as far as I remember -as I used it with my upgraded EQ6, so I do not wish to change the way I use to.
Makes my life easier... especially now I am older.

It was just - plug and play at the time and I would like to use both, SynScan and EQ-Mod or maybe simply use the Deluxe + EQ-Mod... maybe it is simpler?

Thank you
M

My_SynScan.jpg

My_SynScan_b.jpg

Edited by astrorg

• astrorg changed the title to EQ3-2 and my old Synscan from my EQ-6 old upgraded type ... read more

I am not clear what you have and what you are trying to do.

You have a manual mount? And a Synscan handset? But no motor control box and no motors?

Having a USB port on the handset just means a few less bits of cable and hardware needed to connect it to a PC or laptop.

Unless you want to make a hobby of obtaining motors and building a motor control box and programming it, I think your best course might to sell the mount and handset for what you can get, and then look out for a used Eq3-2 Synscan or a EQ-5 Synscan. The latter should be a better mount and more widely available.

For the same money you can get the Skywatcher GOTO upgrade kit for the EQ3, which will have a new hand controller and thus not be reliant on PC software or a mobile phone for use.  You could then sell your old handset to recoup some of the cost.