Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mineral Moon

Gerr

Last Friday night and the moon was 98% illuminated putting to rest my normal DSO targets!

I have a new camera (Zwo ASI 294MC Pro OSC) and decided to try it on obtaining a colour shot on the Moon.

I used my SW200P Newtonian and Firecapture software to take 1000 frames. Frame rate was slow (1.5/sec) as I was using USB2 and the ASI294MC Pro is not a fast planetary camera but atmospheric conditions seemed good and there was not much wind. The camera had a UV / IR filter in front of the sensor.

The best 200 were selected in Avistack and stacked for a TIFF image.

Final image was processed in Photoshop CS2 with subtle tweaks of saturation levels and colour balance to bring out the 'mineral' look!

For my first image of this type I'm quite happy.

CC's welcome.

Mineral Moon:

789347619_MineralMoon.thumb.jpg.7e89802d706e9772fff2872791e913a8.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Last Friday night and the moon was 98% illuminated putting to rest my normal DSO targets!

I have a new camera (Zwo ASI 294MC Pro OSC) and decided to try it on obtaining a colour shot on the Moon.

I used my SW200P Newtonian and Firecapture software to take 1000 frames. Frame rate was slow (1.5/sec) as I was using USB2 and the ASI294MC Pro is not a fast planetary camera but atmospheric conditions seemed good and there was not much wind. The camera had a UV / IR filter in front of the sensor.

The best 200 were selected in Avistack and stacked for a TIFF image.

Final image was processed in Photoshop CS2 with subtle tweaks of saturation levels and colour balance to bring out the 'mineral' look!

For my first image of this type I'm quite happy.

CC's welcome.

Mineral Moon:

789347619_MineralMoon.thumb.jpg.7e89802d706e9772fff2872791e913a8.jpg

Looking good I'm impressed. I've never been able to mineralise any lunar videos with my 294MC pro, though I just use video through my asiair pro which is probably why. Not a criticism but is there supposed to be a lot of green, like the look 👍

• Like 1

Hi AstroNebulee,

Thanks and I reckon you are quite right! I've just applied HLVG filter (medium strength) to my image and it now looks much better.

Hope you agree?

68895266_MineralMoon.thumb.jpg.ad92ed656f131ba81759099047ce67f6.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Hi AstroNebulee,

Thanks and I reckon you are quite right! I've just applied HLVG filter (medium strength) to my image and it now looks much better.

Hope you agree?

68895266_MineralMoon.thumb.jpg.ad92ed656f131ba81759099047ce67f6.jpg

Perfect now Gerr, should be proud of that 👌

• Thanks 1