Banner.jpg.b6007b69ccdf5c69bf18273ddfe023df.jpg

First light, Orion Optics CT8

Tried out my OO CT8 for the first time last night. Used a ZWO 071 Pro MC camera, but did not use a coma corrector or UV/IR filter, just to see what the raw images looked like. Not surprisingly, towards the edge of the image I could see the effects of coma, so will need to use a coma corrector if I want to use the whole of the sensor. Took 100 shots each, at 30 second exposure, of M51 and NGC4565 (with sensor cooled to -5C) to see what it could do. I did collimate the telescope before use, and took calibration frames. The best 80% of frames were stacked in DSS and then processed in Nebulosity 4. The images below are crops, but looks pretty good to me for a first outing, and not bad for just 40 mins or so of integration time for each object. I used an ASI Air Pro on a Losmandy G11 for autoguiding, dithering, etc.

M51 22nd March 2022.jpg

NGC4565.jpg

• Like 4