NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5, EQMOD and the Cable

I've got the HEQ5, I've got EQMOD and everything installed. I've got the USB TTL232 cable with an RJ45 connected on the end, as far as I can tell wired up correctly...

I'm scared now. Well, concerned would be more appropriate.

I can't afford to blow up the HEQ5 cos I've screwed something up. What's the risks involved if I've managed to mess up the wiring ? Can it damage the mount ? I followed the instructions on the EQMod pages for wiring the TTL to the RJ45, although seeing the wiring through the RJ45 plug isn't the easiest of tasks.

Usually problems occur when someone tries to directly connect an RS232 connection to the mount. The signals for RS232 can be anywhere between +/- 5v to +/-15v and the negative going signal is the one that will probably zap the mount.

The signals from the USB TTL232 widget will be 0v to 5V level and hopefully the mount and widget should be designed to withstand a short to ground if the wrong connection is made. What it will not cope with is voltages outside of the 0 to 5v range such as an RS232 connection.

Regards

Kevin

Jarndyce, EQMOD is software that allows you to use a computer to fully control a SynTrek or SynScan mount with goto and guiding (I think).

Thanks very much for the info Kevin. That helps reassure, but I won't hold it against you if I do muck things up :).

I'll test it out over the weekend.

Ok, I've given the cable a quick test indoors and the mount follows the instructions from the computer so it's looking good. Now I just have to sort out the cable connections so they aren't just pushed together. I bought the USB TTL cable with a connector block on the end ...

No, but I have a couple of wired ones.... I haven't even got the final cabling sorted out yet :). I'm probably going to cut the connector off, solder the cables together, then I might nick the idea I saw on here, stick the connections in a plastic box and fill it with glue :mad:.

ehm cough , what you could do John is, carefully remove the contact sleeves from the flying lead from the wires req'd, wrap/thread the relevant wire to the connector (having first slipped some shrink sleeving over the wires). Once connected ,shrink the wire and then when all three are done, bed it all in to the box with loads of hot glue. No need for solder ! And it's safe as money in the bank ( Ooops can't really use that one anymore can we ??).:)

Karlo

Archived