NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light for the Evostar120 - Orion Nebula From LP Skies.

Chris

I know the 3 back to back storms weren't actually my fault, however they did happen to coincide with the purchase of my Sky-Watcher Evostar 120 achromatic refractor. I think I broke my record for delayed first light but Wednesday night was lovely and clear, and my neighbour didn't have his array of light canons switched on so I grabbed my chance for first light. 

After having a quick peak at Procyon to check out the intra and extra focus Fresnel rings which initially look promising, I turned the scope south towards the sword of Orion. You guessed it, the Evostar's first DSO was to be The Great Orion Nebula.

I tapered my expectations based on the street light point blank at the bottom of my garden but I was still treated to some nice nebula on show. The trapezium stars A to D were visible at the low power of 40x magnification with my trusty 25mm Plossl, and I was reminded of the pin prick stars and velvety sky when observing with a refractor which is always a good thing to be reminded of. 

Me being me I recorded First Light with one of my usual videos, and after the camera was packed away I settled in for some me and the universe time which a swear should be classed as a form of therapy.

• Like 8