SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Acceptable vibration!

MalcolmM

I got 15 minutes on Venus this morning and had the tripod extended higher than normal. The scope was taking a good 3 to 4 seconds to stop vibrating after focusing. I was at a magnification of 100. A light vertical tap on the  diagonal settled much more quickly, but a horizontal tap was 3 to 4 seconds. Just wondering what other people's experience is?

I'm using an FC100DC on a Giro Ercole on an Innorel RT90C with 3 of the 4 sections extended (scope itself is 51 inches off the ground). Pic attached.

Thanks,

Malcolm

IMG_20220209_080415453.thumb.jpg.4a7b88c76afbaa25a040c3f67dcd3c05.jpg

Ideally I like vibrations to settle down in under a second, max two I guess. Three of four starts to make focusing a challenge and a bit frustrating. Fine focusers really help minimise the contact you have with the scope and can help reduce the vibrations.

I do like my Gitzo. Managed to pick up a basically new GT5542LS for a not too ludicrous price quite a few years ago and it gets a lot of use. Pretty stable given how light it is. 40kg capacity if I recall correctly.

• Thanks 1