Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ3 Synscan mount...bearings or something else?

dazzystar

Hi All,

I'm not saying it's sticky but when trying to balance the RA axis the movement isn't smooth and often needs a slight nudge from my finger to get it move. Is this normal for a SW EQ3 or is there something I can do to help?

Cheers
Daz

4 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

All the bearings I ordered, appeared on my doorstep this morning (Sunday ??), so I'll be doing the mod later this week.... 

4 hours ago, dazzystar said:

Great Julian. Keep us all posted!

Yes, by all means, keep us posted. (See my comment on my own thread).

@dazzystar: if you just want the RA axis to run smoother, then loosen the RA lock nut by a fraction of a turn. Remove the polar scope and RA ring. Then loosen the three grub screws that lock the RA nut in position. Loosen the lock nut just a little and retighten the grub screws. Put the RA ring and polar scope back on. This is a very easy modification. You just have to make sure you loosen the grub screws (hidden in the side of the lock nut), and find a way to loosen the lock nut (it may take quite som force).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

It's actually the DEC axis that's stiff (still getting them confused!). Any tips on modding that easily?

Check for backlash/binding first. After you have adjusted that and it is still stiff, loosen the lock nut in the DEC housing. Just take the cap that covers the polar scope hole off and loosen the nut by just a tiny bit. Don't loosen it too much. You want smooth movement without being able to wiggle it sideways.