NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1 in narrowband

Clarkey

I decided to have a crack at the Crab Nebula in narrowband using an RC8 with and ASI1600mm pro. The conditions were pretty awful (windy) and trying to guide near the zenith did not help. Probably the worst guiding graph I have seen - looked like the Himalaya's!

In total about 5 hours SHO binned 2x2 out of a total of something like 8 hours of subs. I would like to get some more (better) data to add to this as the detail is still missing.

Processed in APP and Affinity. Critical comment welcome as always.

M1-AP4.jpg

• Like 10

You've recovered a lot from the description of the conditions @Clarkey.  There's plenty of the larger structural detail and the colours are helping that separate out nicely.

The stars are quite flat and grey but appreciate this may be on purpose if you're trying to suppress them a lot.  There's some coloured edges so they must have been shining nice and bright earlier in processing?

Edited by geeklee

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

shining nice and bright earlier in processing

Yes. I probably did the star reduction a bit late in the processing. I was debating whether or not to reduce them at all as they were not too intrusive originally. This way does highlight the nebula quite well, but potentially loosing the 'natural' look.

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

There's some coloured edges

Agreed. I think this was a combination of the late removal and some tilt in the camera. Also, the ZWO filters giving a bit of blue bloat. I should go back and process it out when time permits.